Author Topic: Captain Alexander Storm, Tayport  (Read 24313 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Alexander Storm, Tayport
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 August 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

FYI there is a 5 page will and a 5 page inventory on Scotlands People.

STORM ALEXANDER 23/07/1901 SHIPMASTER, "THE ANCHORAGE," TAYPORT, D. 21/01/1901 AT GLASGOW, TESTATE INVENTORY ONLY CUPAR SHERIFF COURT SC20/50/83

2 STORM ALEXANDER 12/07/1901 SHIPMASTER, "THE ANCHORAGE," TAYPORT, D. 21/01/1901 AT GLASGOW, TESTATE WILL   SC20/56/1

Regards,   Steve  :)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 August 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'll take a look sometime over the weekend just in case it is still called that. Will let you know.
Bob
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 August 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
jenc,  try the National Archives, you might be lucky.    http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/    don't be too specific, trawl through what turns up.  (there are nearly 700 hits for strong!) Names like Battenburg were very unpopular during the Great War, and were changed.    Skoosh.

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 August 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob Steve and Skooch
Hope it's a nice sunny day in Tayport for you Bob, happy hunting and thanks again.
Captain Storm's Will sounds interesting....might give a clue as to why he is connected to my grandmothers family.
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 August 11 17:12 BST (UK) »

See this from Tayport Community Website.

http://www.tayport.org.uk/forum.php?forum_id=10&parent_post_id=529

I've not had a chance to go over and look for my self yet.
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 August 11 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Oh my!
That does seem promising...all the time getting closer to Captain Storm.....thank you once again for your interest and input, the family member buried beside Capt Storm is my own father!!!!!..sadly lost touch over the years with my 'FIFE' family because of 'marriage ' breakdown etc .... but just would love to know why there is this connection....
Warmest Regards from Jen
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 August 11 21:32 BST (UK) »

No problem. I've had plenty help on this site.  I presume you have a photo of the gravestone? Bob

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 August 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Afraid I don't have an actual photo, but I visited earlier this year.  I didn't know anything about the story till quite recently when I heard it from a new found cousin!
 From the Storm gravestone I found out the Captain's date and place of birth which was really helpful.
The grave is situated near the roadside boundary wall, 5th from the Cemetery Lodge, my grandparents lair is 4th from the Lodge.  You can actually see it on Google street view. 
Jen

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 August 11 09:28 BST (UK) »

House Identified: 28 Albert St.  On Google Earth I could see house number for 24 and 30 so can work out which one is 28.  I still have to pop round there myself (weather has been rotten here and road has been closed there for roadworks).

http://www.tayport.org.uk/forum.php?forum_id=10&parent_post_id=529

'Hi Bob It is the house I thought it was. It is on the left [that is as you look up the hill] just about 5 houses past Braid Rd. It is number 28 if you look at the pane of glass above the front door you will see it still says The Anchorage. Albert St was like many other streets it had little groups of houses like Myrtle Terrace just past Spiershill and probably their own numbering for the Terrace. I came from Isla Place with our own numbering system. With that in mind The Anchorage may have belonged to Battenburg Group of houses hence confusion with the numbering. Vera Tayport born and bred'

Bob