Author Topic: Thomas Kelly - India  (Read 12058 times)

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kelly - India
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 May 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
Yeah I think we can rule him out - If he signed up for the army in 1891 aged 18 he was born c1873, A 30 could be a birth date alright it makes sense.
Researching Shiels/McGrane/Kelly/Carroll/Adamson/McGrane family history

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 May 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
T.K. = Thomas Kelly?
Thanks Aghadowey - sometimes one doesn't see the blindingly obvious !

The attendance at Royal Hibernian is interesting. It was a school for military orphans yet we know his father was still alive in 1891. Presumably his mother had died by 1883.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 May 12 10:36 BST (UK) »
The army papers are a bit confusing.

Having served in Malta, Bermuda, Canada, and South Africa (1900-02), he was discharged from the army in 1903 having served his 12 years.

He then seems to have joined up again at Clonmel in June 1904  as an artillery driver, claiming to be just 24 years and 2 months old. After completing his initial 3 years of service he was transferred to the army reserve in June 1907.

He was mobilised on the outbreak of hostilities in 1914. He served in the Royal Garrison Artillery and then the Labour Corps

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 May 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Having been discharged from the Labour Corps (571642) in 1919 (address 50 Rutland Square ) he joined the Royal Engineers on 30 May that year, claiming to be aged 40 years and 0 months. After serving overseas he was finally discharged in April 1920. Wife Mary Anne, 50 Rutland  Square.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 May 12 10:56 BST (UK) »
The records of the Royal Hibernian Military School are at Kew:

http://www.achart.ca/articles/hibernian/sources.htm

WO 143/78 and 79 were deposited at Kew in 2003:

WO 143/78 - 1847–1877 Nominal Roll of boys joining the Royal Hibernian Military School. This is an alphabetical ledger of 2649 admissions. It contains comprehensive data, which include these categories of information: the company to which the boy was assigned; his date of admission; date of birth; body mass data including his height, chest measurement and weight in pounds; his religion; rank held; trade taught, good conduct stripes earned at age 14; his petition number; entry class; father's regiment; his disposition (army volunteer, trade apprentice or 'withdrawn by guardian' etc.) The register includes other useful information such as transfer to the RMA (rare), deaths and absconded or deserted.

WO 143/79 - 1878–1907 Nominal Roll of boys joining the Royal Hibernian Military School. This ledger is a continuation of the preceding ledger, WO 143/78, and records for 3,907 entries the same wealth and range of data described for that ledger. Using a pupil's admission number entered in the WO 143/27, the entry can be cross-referenced to the same boy's name and petition number recorded in the fuller ledgers, WO143/78 and 79

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 May 12 19:00 BST (UK) »
That's great information Shaun thank you so much, I really thought I'd never get past that section of my tree I'm delighted with the information you've provided thanks for taking the time to search for me I really appreciate it.

Jess

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 May 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
They should be on the 1911 census of Ireland  - but I can't find them !

Nor are there any Kellys at 45 Beresford Street in 1901

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 May 12 20:23 BST (UK) »
Still finding things. In some of the army pension papers it's recorded that he said when re-enlisting that he had only served in the Royal Garrison Artillery Dublin Militia.

In the RGA Dublin papers from April 1904 (he says he was born in St Thomas's Dublin but the signature appears to be his) in which he claims to be just 24 years old. The address he gives is 36 Summerhill.

Have also just found more papers which again mention the wrist tattoos (is A30 something to do with his company at the military school I wonder) and give an address of 24 Summerhill in July 1903

Offline Casabeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 May 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find them on the census either but in 1911 I did find a Thomas & Mary in Rutland St Thomas is the correct age but place of birth is wrong....

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Mountjoy/Rutland_Street__Upper/30713/