Author Topic: Robert Colebrooke of Chilham Castle but who was the mother of his children?  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Folks

Robert Colebrooke (1718 - 1784) is my 5th great grandfather through his son Powlet Wellbore Colebrooke and Powlet's daughter Henrietta Colebrooke who married William Miller.

According to research by others see website on the Colebrooke family, Robert married Henrietta Powlett 12 Jul 1741 and she died childless 22 Dec 1753.

Meanwhile Robert Colebrooke had 7 children with Mary (ne Williams) the wife of Dr. Robert Jones. The children were George, Henrietta, John, Lyde, Robert Hyde, Powlett Wellbore and James.

Mary Jones (ne Williams?) is sometimes described as Robert Colebrooke's mistress. However it would seem rather difficult to avoid her husband Dr. Robert Jones from knowing that his wife was pregnant and that the children went to live with Robert Colebrooke and his wife Henrietta. This looks more like some sort of surrogacy to provide children and heirs for Robert Colebrooke.

I am interested in finding out about Dr. Robert Jones and in particular his wife Mary Williams who would appear to be the mother of my 4th great grandfather Powlett Wellbore Colebrooke.

I am presuming that Dr. Robert Jones was the Colebrooke family doctor who lived with his wife Mary Williams in the Chilham area of Kent.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline calgaltx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Colebrooke of Chilham Castle but who was the mother of his children?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 14 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Robert, I am Susan in Texas, USA.  I have been the recipient of the most generous gentleman in UK!  I have been searching for my Garstin relatives.  He showed me, through many emails, that my heritage goes back to Robert Colebrooke.  Then searching this question somehow popped up. I asked my benefactor about your question to which he sent the following answer:

year of her age, Mrs. Mary Jones wife of Robert Jones M. D. of Carmarthen”.   Source. Hereford Journal 19 February 1794. She was born 1739.

Dr Robert Jones MA MD of Merionethshire (Wales) qualified at Edinburgh; he wrote two books;
1. "An inquiry into the nature, causes, and termination of nervous fevers : together with observations tending to illustrate the method of restoring His Majesty to health, and of preventing relapses of his disease. By Robert Jones, M.D. And Member of the Royal Society of Antiquarians At Edinburgh.
Author:  Robert Jones, M.D.
Publisher:  Salisbury : Printed and sold by B.C. Collins : Sold also by S. Crowder, Pater-Noster-Row, London, M. DCC. LXXXIX. [1789]" Series:  Eighteenth century collections online.  Edition/Format:   eBook : Document : English
(he refers here to the Madness of King George III)

and
2. An inquiry into the nature, causes, and termination of nervous fevers : together with observations tending to illustrate the method of restoring His Majesty to health, and of preventing relapses of his disease. By Robert Jones, M.D. And Member of the Royal Society of Antiquarians At Edinburgh.
Author:  Robert Jones, M.D.
Publisher:  Salisbury : Printed and sold by B.C. Collins : Sold also by S. Crowder, Pater-Noster-Row, London, M. DCC. LXXXIX. [1789] Series:  Eighteenth century collections online. Edition/Format:   eBook : Document : English

He also lectured. There  is an advert in Sept 1788 in the Salisbury and Wiltshire Gazette and in Oct 1788 in the Bath Chronicle for paid lectures that a Dr. Robert Jones M.A. and M.D. of Castle Street Salisbury. He intended to charge 5 guineas if he could get 20 people to attend a lecture and appears to be available at home for consultations on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 10.00 till 3.00 at a cost of ten shillings and sixpence.
In these adverts Robert Jones describes himself as a member of the Royal Society of Antiquarians of Edinburgh (the Royal Society in Edinburgh I believe), and the Society for the encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, Adelphi, London (now the Royal Society of Arts).

Will of Robert Colebrooke of Soissons France 16 April 1784
Wish to be buried at Chilham Castle in the mausoleum built by me & my brothers on the right side of my late wife the Hon Henrietta Colebrooke.
Beneficieries included:
1. Mary Jones formerly Williams the mother of Robert Colebrooke's children 6 of whom were still alive and mentioned in the will including sons in order (of birth?), (Robert) Hyde Colebrooke, Pawlet Colebrooke, George Colebrooke, James Colebrooke, John Colebrooke and Henrietta Colebrooke. 2. Robert Stockdale one of the clerks of the East India Company was left £20. 3. and his mother name not mentioned gets £50. 4. John Garstin Officer in the EIC's troops in Bengal gets £20. 5. and the widow of Edward Garstin late of his Majesty's Navy gets £20. 6. Madame Angelique Joseph Sorfebure late of la Rue La Poisionniere, Paris £20-who is also to receive an annuity from sum of £200 which passes on to her daughter Sophie. 7. Ffrancis Atkinson of St. Margaret Street, Westminster, Gentleman £50. 8. Samuel Bureau of Walbrook London, Gentleman £20. Will was proved on 13 July 1784.
+Comments added to margin of Robert Colebrooke.'s will 1794
On 3 day of July 1794 Administration (with the will unadministered) ..... goods, chattels, codicils of Robert Colebrooke formerly of Chilham Castle in the Co Kent but late of Soissons in the Kingdom of France Esq deceased is unadministered as well by Francis Atkinson one of the executors as by Mary Jones/wife of Robert Jones, Doctor of Physic the Residuary Legatee for life named in the said? will is now also deceased, was granted to Powlet Welbore Colebrooke other ????? Colebrooke Esq one of the residuary legatees, substituted in this? will having been first sworn duly to administer.  Daniel Bureau the other Extor named in the will has fully renounced the execution thereof"

I suspect that Sophie Sorfebure of Paris -mother Madame Angelique, and Robert Stockdale were further children of Robert Colebrooke, all getting their £20 token.  It must be remembered that  Robert Colebrooke and his brother Sir George had both fled to France to escape their creditors, a somehat risky enterprise seeing that this was on the eve of the French Revolution.   Luckily for Sir George, he seems to have escaped and reestablished himself with the East India Company; he died in 1809 in peaceful Bath (not the bath in which Marat was murdered by Charlotte Corday 1793!). See Wikipedia.

I hope this helps your search.  At the very least, you and I wind up as cousins!  I am related FROM Robert Colebrooke to Charles Garstin Smith and Mathilde Sanderson.  They had children, August Edward Garstin Smith, Alfred Herrman Garstin Smith, Marian Alice, Lilian , and Reginald.  All immigrated to Chicago, Illinois, USA.  Charles Garstin Smith was born of a dalliance with a "local" woman in India, his father was Edward Garstin.

Good luck with your further searches.  I hope I saved you some time!
Susan

Offline rmuspratt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 22:31 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already discovered it, there is an interesting book by Malcolm Sutherland "Sola Bona Quae Honesta - The Colebrooke family 1650 - 1950. 

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Sola-Bona-Quae-Malcolm-Sutherland/book/1872489206/

On page 14 he writes "from about 1760 onwards Robert was probably living with a woman called Mary Williams by whom he had six illegitimate sons and one illegitimate daughter.  Mary Williams later left Robert and married a Dr Robert Jones of Carmarthen. ... In a deed dated 27 Nov 1766, Robert granted Mary (described in the deed as a spinster of St Margaret's Westminster) an annuity of £250 since "the said Robert Colebrooke and Mary Williams have for several years past lived and cohabited together and the said Robert Colebrooke hath begotten of the body of the said Mary Williams four male children named Phillip Charles, Robet Hide (sic), Paulet Welbore and George who are all now living"  Later in France Robert (C) and Mary had two more illegitimate sons: James born 1 June 1771 in Picardy and John born 1 December 1773 in Paris. There is also a daughter Henrietta."

I am descended from Sir George Colebrooke's daughter Louisa (born 1764) and also from Gen. John Garstin b.1756), another of Robert Colebrooke's possible illegitimate children (although I have found a baptism record for John as son of Margaret and John Garstin of Westminster.  Louisa married Captain Andrew Sutherland and had a son James Charles Colebrooke Sutherland who married John Garstin's daughter Charlotte.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the London Lives website?

http://www.londonlives.org/index.jsp

It includes some useful Westminster records.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AliciaReade

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Robert is also my GGGGG Grandfather :-) Via some interesting routes! I am descended from Robert's son Robert Hyde Colebrooke via his daughter Emma Sophia Colebrooke (who married her first cousin Sir William McBean George Colebrooke). My DNA tests on Ancestry seem to suggest via their new 'Thrulines' feature that there are two prominent DNA matches there for me, one each from Emma's sisters Frances and Juliana, which is very exciting.

Look at this wonderful page re the family tree of the Colebrookes and their various happenings! Explains a few things! Be sure to read the footnotes!

https://archive.org/stream/completebaroneta05coka#page/116/mode/2up

Alicia Reade, UK

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alica

Thanks for your message and interesting link to the history of some of the Colebrookes.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts