Author Topic: Frederick Wilfrid Seymour MA 1887-1932  (Read 4815 times)

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
Frederick Wilfrid Seymour MA 1887-1932
« on: Saturday 08 November 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Frederick Wilfrid Seymour MA 1887-1932 and Bishop Foy School, Waterford and Villiers School, Limerick.

Frederick was born 29 Nov 1887 in Belfast, died 5 Nov 1932 in Limerick. He does not appear to have married. His parents were Thomas Gibson Seymour 1841 - 1900 (Methodist Minister) and Mary Scandrett 1848 - 1901. He was one of nine children and was educated at The Methodist College. Belfast and Queen's University.

In the papers left by my late father there is a photograph of the Villiers Endowed School, Limerick. Recent information tells us that the building shown is the original school in Henry St. and that the photo is at least pre-1953 (when the school moved to a new site). We were  also told  that the school was a 'sister' school of Bishop Foy, one of a number of small Protestant schools spread around the Republic.

Frederick Wilfred Seymour (who would have been my great uncle) was head master of Bishop Foy School from 1917 for a period of 15 years. His nephews, surname Napier, were also pupils there in the late 1920s (info relating to them also very much welcomed by PM please as they are fairly recently deceased).

I would appreciate any information about either school that may (or may not) link them through Frederick. His place of death is given as Limerick so perhaps he was visiting someone in the town connected with the school? He was only 44 when he died so it may have been a sudden and possible unexpected death?

I am posting this on both the Waterford and Limerick boards to get maximum 'exposure' :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=340042.new#new

Many thanks, Nell
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline farlee_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Wilfrid Seymour MA 1887-1932
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 June 14 23:41 BST (UK) »
I have just acquired a photo of the Bishop Foy school hockey team that was probably taken in the 1920's. The man standing on the right is, according to a note on the back of the photo, Mr. Seymour M.A. D.D.
Farrell, O'Farrell, Lanigan

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 June 14 00:23 BST (UK) »
What an excellent photo. It is indeed F W Seymour. By any chance are any of the boys themselves named? I ask because my father was there a pupil there in the late 20s and he mentions several names of friends in his school boy diaries. It would be interesting to see if there were any matches.

Many thanks for posting this

Nell
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Offline farlee_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 June 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Neill, yes there are some names on the back of the photo. They are a little hard to make out but this is what I read them as,
Standing left to right,  Harden or Hayden, Stoney, Haines, Hamilton, Huggard I, Huggard II, Mr. Seymour M.A. D.D.
Sitting front, Whitney, Smith, Mayse (capt.) Hutchison, Kelly.

By the way the National Library of Ireland has a couple of similar photos with Frederick in the A.H. Poole collection.
http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=Seymore&type=AllFields&submit=FIND
Farrell, O'Farrell, Lanigan

Offline joy69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Lovely

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 16 21:25 GMT (UK) »
His estate was administered by James S Seymour,Bank Manager
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 February 16 10:28 GMT (UK) »
His estate was administered by James S Seymour,Bank Manager
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/
James was one of his brothers - I have very early memories of him visiting us in the early 50s.  :)