Author Topic: Need help with Edmund KEATING  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Need help with Edmund KEATING
« on: Thursday 15 May 14 01:49 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out more about Edmund KEATING.

I know he was the father of James Keating, born 1839, who married Johanna Liston on 31 July 1867 in Croom, Limerick. This info came from the Family Search site. Would the actual film give me any more info such as his wife's name, his occupation or his residence?

His son, James Keating, was living in Knocknagranshy in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. There is an Edmund Keating listed in Griffith's Valuation in the same location, as a lessor of Jeffrey Keating. Both Edmund and Jeffrey are listed in the Tithe Applotments in Garrane townland which I think is adjacent to Knocknagranshy.

Is it possible to find out Edmund's baptism and marriage details? I think he must be related to Jeffrey Keating somehow - Jeffrey was having children there between 1808 and 1818.

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Edmund KEATING
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 14 06:05 BST (UK) »
If you are talking about the civil record:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY96-4PK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY96-WMD

... then there is only provision for the recording of the fathers' names and occupations.

A search of the RootsIreland website index brings back a marriage in 1831 for an Edmund Keating to Catherine Moloney in the RC parish of Manister, the record is pay to view, though be aware that the only extra information may be residence (usually townlands) for bride and groom and witness names.

Other than the groom's name and the era, there is nothing else to tie this to your query, but worth just noting all the same.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Edmund KEATING
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 May 14 06:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the info, Gaffy. The marriage record for James Keating/Johanna Liston that I found has a Batch number  M70238-4 so I'm assuming it's a church record?

The Edmund Keating marriage you found seems a  good fit for a son James born 1839 especially since it was in Manister parish, which is also where Jeffrey Keating's children were baptised. 1831 would suggest a birth date for Edmund of about 1810 or so, so possibly Jeffrey's son ...

I've realised I made an error in my previous post - James was deceased by the time of the 1901 census - it was his second wife, also Johanna, and family who was living in Knocknagranshy then.

England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk