Author Topic: World War One Victims  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War One Victims
« on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the men from Sunderland who died as a result of their War wounds after the 31st August 1921. Prior to this date these men would have been recognised by the CWGC, but the men I am researching who suffered terrible wounds have no lasting memorial and go unrecognised.
If anyone has any details of a relative who died of their wounds after the above date I would be only too pleased to hear from you, also am more than willing to share any information I find. Have so far found over 60 men who fit the above criteria.

"These men should not be forgotten."

Thanks

Ryhopelad

HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND

Offline matty_hine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: World War One Victims
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
sorry new to this just noticed you are looking for shillaws me mam was a shillaw before she was married and me grandad was norman shillaw grew up in sunderland and evacuated to yorkshire durin the seond world war. im building his family tree hit a brick wall would be interesting to talk.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 May 14 01:34 BST (UK) »
I must say I had never heard of the Shillaw name before. Quite remarkable name as (I did not count them) probably +- 90% of them on FreeBMD are registered in County Durham and Northumberland.

Durham Recods Online has six pages of them

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php?page=1

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Matty

Would only be too pleased to help in your research, if you give me some details of what you have and the help you need will do all I can to resolve the problems. Also information you have may help to fill in one or two gaps I have in my own records.
Am I right in saying your grandfather was Norman Shillaw (born March Q 1930 Sunderland) who married Barbara Watt (Sept Q 1951 Don Valley).
If the above is correct we are connected a little further up the line, your Great Great Grandfather Thomas Shillaw was the elder brother of my grandmother Hannah Shillaw. My Grandfather Charles Edward Haynes came up to the North East from Derby after the First World War.
As Barry mentioned the majority of the Shillaw's were found in the Northumberland & Durham areas      earning a living in the coal mining industry, then like your grandfather there were those who moved further afield mostly after the late 1930's.
Have still been unable to find where the Shillaw name originated from, can trace my line back to Sea Houses in Bamborough, Northumberland in the 1790's but that is only one family. Have come across a marriage in Glencairn, Dumfries,Scotland but have nothing else to connect it to the family.  Have always wondered if the name comes from Shillinglaw which is prevalent in Scotland.

Look forward to you getting in touch

Ryhopelad

SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham

Offline matty_hine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
Yea he was my grandad not got far started researching at start of this week got to like 1780 or something being doing the carney side as well

Offline aangeleyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Sarah Shillaw and I think you are all my family too, Im from easington in co Durham a mining town my great grandad was Thomas Shillaw and he married Sarah Elizabeth Holme I think her last name was holme anyway lol and they had four children, Christopher, Roland, Vera and Harold who was my grandad, my grandad(harry) had 5 children jennifer Thomas(my dad), Vera, john and Elizabeth and i was named after my great grandma Sarah. I also have tryd to trace my name back and as far as I can tell it started in 1790 it was a middle name that was given as a surname, I would love to hear back from you :) x

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 02:08 BST (UK) »
Thomas Shillaw married Sarah E. Hume Sept. Qtr. 1922. Easington Registration District.

Offline aangeleyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 06:34 BST (UK) »
Yes that's my great grandad and gramdma :) Ty im named after Sarah and my dad was named after Thomas

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah

Good to hear from you, have been checking my records and Shillaw family tree and see that we are indeed related. Our connection is with Thomas & Mary Ann Shillaw (nee Cole) who are my            GGGrandparents. My GGrandparents are James & Elizabeth Ann Shillaw (nee Coates), James is an elder brother of your GGGrandfather Christopher Shillaw who married Jane Reed.

My side of the family moved down from Northumberland to Silksworth where my grandmother Hannah was born , she married my grandfather Charles Edward Haynes 3rd December 1921 and then moved to Ryhope. They had 5 children my dad Charles Edward was the third eldest.

The earliest connection I have found is the marriage of William Shillaw to Phillis Wake 14th February 1790 in Bamborough, Northumberland. I have found earlier Shillaw's but as yet do not have enough information to put them in the family tree.

It would be good to hear from you and perhaps we can be of help to each other.

Ryhopelad

SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham