Author Topic: Poplar Poor Law Child - Laurence, Rose.  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poplar Poor Law Child - Laurence, Rose.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for updating us. The certificates are encouraging. As George William MADDISON was younger than his bride in 1925, it seems feasible that she would wish to understate her age.  :)

His father is listed as a WILLIAM MADDISON "deceased" and her's THOMAS LAURRANCE.
What is Thomas LAURRANCE's occupation as given on the marriage register please? There's a candidate family living in Islington in 1901 with a Rose M. LAURENCE aged 7. Her father Thomas is a bricklayer. All are born in Holloway (part of Islington). RG13/174 folio 87 page 13.

Married at the register office with a F DANKA and E MADDISON witnessing
Later in 1925, a John DANKA married Ellen MADDISON, also in Poplar. Could your 'F. Danka' actually be J. DANKA? Perhaps these witnesses are a female relative of George and her future husband?

So his sister was living with him at the time of his death (maybe the time of Rosina's as well)

She may just have been staying there temporarily to look after George (Rose having died the previous year).

and then his estate was left to her.
Not quite. There was no will, but administration of his estate was granted to Jean WOODROW at the Nottingham probate registry. Nottingham was therefore probably the most convenient probate office for her to attend, so she is unlikely actually to have been living in London.

In fact, I think avm228 was spot-on with identifying the DUNKERLEY family -- see reply #17 above. The death index shows that a Jean WOODROW died in 1972 in Derby registration district (born 29 Sept 1897). The probate calendar shows ...

MORAN Jane Ann or WOODROW Jean of 12 Apiary Gate Castle Donington Leics died 16 October 1972 Administration Nottingham 13 December. £1000

Offline marz8earth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 18 December 14 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all this! You guys are amazing, i have been able to track down the Maddisons i believe but had trouble finding the Laurrances but this looks promising thank you.
Thomas is listed as "builder" on the marriage certificate.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 December 14 00:43 GMT (UK) »
i have been able to track down the Maddisons
I think E. MADDISON (witness) was the widowed mother of George William MADDISON. She is probably the Ellen Jane NOLTE who married William MADDISON in 1896, and probably the Ellen J. DANKA who died aged 70 in 1947.

but had trouble finding the Laurrances
If you're using Ancestry, they're wrongly indexed there as LAWRENCE.

Thomas is listed as "builder" on the marriage certificate.
Very promising.

Offline marz8earth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 December 14 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Done some digging into LAURRANCE and i think i can follow THOMAS & MARY A. from the 1881 census (living with her family "TALLS") to the 1911 in Islington, London, England. At different points over the years the household is less a few people here and there but i think its them. In 1911 "Rosie" appears at the bottem but then stroked out, perhaps she lived at the resident but was not present at the time of the census. Both her surviving older sisters are listed on this census and then on a separate census with their husbands and children in 1911. While her brother Henry (married) is only listed with his parents and sister. I cant find a record of his wife/children in 1911.

Very interested but still have to find a way to put her on Dorset st Spitalfield, 5yrs later with an infant. Ohhh the secrets.

Thank you very much for all your help and interest in my quest, it has been much appreciated! Not really sure where else to turn now, would like to be able to find some long lost family somehow back in Britain. Maybe someone who's been told the story of Rosina and Rosa ... maybe someday.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 December 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
The occupation box for Rosie in 1911 may help you with why she is crossed through.

Also interesting in 1911 is information about the size of the dwelling (number of rooms).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline marz8earth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 December 14 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I noticed the same thing, not sure what to think of it though. Do you have any ideas or how i can use this information.