Author Topic: William & Eleanor Kirtland of St George Hanover Square  (Read 1028 times)

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William & Eleanor Kirtland of St George Hanover Square
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:55 BST (UK) »
 The  Earl of  Bradford ,    had  his  ' country  seat'  at  Weston Park ,      and  he got married  to  first  wife  ,  in St George  Hanover  Sq  ,   maybe  William worked   for him  ,  and  so went  with the  Earl to Weston ( Earl  Of  Bradford  is  on 1841  census   a  few pages  away from William  )

Offline Mystorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:57 BST (UK) »
That is interesting indeed. I'm still bothered about the age though. Even with rounding off by fives, would they not have given him an age of 50 or 55? 45 in 1841 is 12 years younger than he was.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
   It's  possible that  Weston Park  has  records of    their  one time  employers  of the  Earls  of  Bradford,   so  William   may be  on the  list ?......... I  seem to  recall another   ' country house/  estate having   records  going  back   a long way ( think it  was  on one  of the  WDYTYA  programmes)

http://www.weston-park.com/contact-us/

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985  on Ancestry   suggests  William was  71  on  his death  in 1854 

Offline Mystorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jan, that's a good idea, I will look into that further. The age at death is spot on. So he could have lied about his age in the 1841 census, as by that stage he was well into his 50's and maybe not so fit for the job?