Author Topic: Baptism of Lydia Pottenger - where?? COMPLETED  (Read 747 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism of Lydia Pottenger - where?? COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 21 December 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
According to FindMyPast, Lydia Pottenger, daughter of John & Mary, was baptized in London on 23 February 1795.

Last time I looked, there were rather a lot of churches in London, and it would have helped if they had said WHICH ONE ... but they didn't.

If anybody has a more powerful lookup tool, I'd be most grateful (as well as for any additional information which the entry might contain).

I am expecting it to be in Tower Hamlets ...

(I should also add, that this might not have been an infant baptism ... later census entries suggest not only a slightly earlier date of birth (not unusual in illiterates born in the 18th century) but also a birth place in Norfolk. I don't know where that has come from, unless she was born in Norfolk, the family then came to London, and she was only baptized on arrival ... )
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Lydia Pottenger - where??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 December 14 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
According to the opposition:
Name:    Lydia Pottenger
Birth Date:    17 Jan 1795
Baptism Date:    23 Feb 1795
Baptism Place:    St Sepulchre,London,London,England
Father:    John Pottenger
Mother:    Mary
Regards
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 December 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
That's wonderful, pjm - many thanks.

It looks to me like the parents are John Pottinger and Mary Eaton who married at St Giles, Cripplegate on 1 July 1792 (any additional information which other sources may offer would be much appreciated) and that the sibling set consists of:-

Mary Ann Pottinger, baptized Holborn 10 November 1793

Lydia

Chas Pottinger born 1801 and baptized London 17 April 1803

Ann Pottinger born 1802 and baptized London 17 April 1803

Again, any additional information on any of these three baptisms much appreciated.

I am a little troubled by the marriage of John Potenger and Mary Hutton at St Katherine Coleman on 8 September 1778 ... but there appear to be no Pottenger children baptized between then and 1793, and whilst a 15 year wait to baptize your first child is not out of the question, it seems far more likely that the relevant marriage is the one a year before the first baptism, especially given that the evidence of Chas and Ann is that whilst they did not always baptize immediately, they don't appear to have waited all that long!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 December 14 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann baptised at St Andrews, Holborn - John and Mary Pottinger of Plons (?) Court, Fetter Lane.

Charles and Ann baptised at St Giles, Cripplegate.  Charles born January ?? 1801 - very feint image - and Ann born 18 December 1802.  Occupation for John is Taylor.  Entries have been transcribed as children of John and Sarah!!!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 December 14 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Oh wonderful, BumbleB - many thanks.

According to The A-Z of Regency London there was a Plough Court leading off Fetter Lane to the East, about three quarters of the way up from Fleet Street to Holborn.

I suspect that this is the address in question.