Author Topic: looking for Mossview house or cottage in Newmains  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: looking for Mossview house or cottage in Newmains
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Well there you are, it's the one on Manse Road.  If you want I'll get a picture at the weekend, it's too dark when I get home from work.

Cheers,

Ally

Offline hmillar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Oh that would be lovely. Thank you

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Ally,  How very interesting!  Dr Little is listed in the valuation rolls as the owner in the years after my ancestor, Dr John Millar died.  Thank you.

When Dr Millar retired he would simply have stayed in his own house. The incoming doctor would need to secure new premises which is why I believe Dr Little practised from the opposite side of Manse Road. If you look at the various maps I posted prev. The house at the corner of School Road was there before the red sandstone house was built.
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
The North Lanarkshire Council interactive map for its development plans shows the outbuilding of the house on the corner of School Road as a Surgery. That is where I believe Miller practised in the grounds of his own house Mossview (currently No 73 Manse Road)

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
If what I have been told the house you are talking about was the practice of Dr Little around the 1940/50 then went went on to be the practice of Dr Bowman and Dr Gibb. Dr Bowman then lived in the house adjacent to the practice which was Mossviewcottagenewmains.
I went to school with one of Dr Bowman's daughters
They were both excellent doctors

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
I spoke with my sister last night and she has corrected me. Dr John Little practiced at the White bungalow on Manse Road with the red chips in front of it. Bowman or Gibbons stayed on the corner of Manse Road / School Road with surgery being round the back . There was another doc further along Manse Road it became the vets

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
I think all are dancing round the same pile of handbags lol. As regards the OP's query I think Miller resided and practised at the house on the corner of School Road and Manse Road. Presumably there were other GP's after Miller but before Little? Another surgery or surgeries could have sprung up and Gibb / Bowman eventually reverting to the Miller house. Does this make sense?

Offline hmillar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much for the information and explanations. I definitely need to come to look around Newmains.  Hilary