Author Topic: Identify old cars  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Identify old cars
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 March 14 02:57 GMT (UK) »
O.K I got the bottom one wrong, hubby said it could be a Austin 10 and it is bigger than a Austin 7.
Top one is a Buick, not sure of model or year, mid to late 1940's? 

Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
Oh!  ;D  thanks, first I should of told you the photo's were taken in South Africa. The second photo  was taken about 1939-1940, this is a guess

The first  photo taken around 1945-1948, another guess
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 August 14 04:42 BST (UK) »
I am doubtful of the claim that it is a Buick.   What year of Buick do you claim that it is.

I am also doubtful of the claim that this car is "at least 20 years after"  the 1924-1929 period for which those would be valid Nottinghamshire plates.

The styling of the car is more like 1937-1940.   You won't see headlamps like that on any postwar US or US derived car.  It also appears to have "suicide doors".

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 August 14 07:06 BST (UK) »
A guess

A Hudson Terraplane?

Crowsfeet
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 September 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
The most similar looking car that I can find,  is a 1937 Pontiac.

It looks like two small panels have been put over the top of the radiator grille,   which curiously look more like the radiator shape of a 1940 Pontiac.     It is missing some the pontiac detailing.   In South Africa,  it is possibly an Australian-bodied Pontiac.    Also,  the arrow log on the right wing looks like a Pontiac logo.   That's my best guess.

It could also be a 38 or 39 Pontiac, which had very similar body.    In 1940 and 1941 they were quite different,  although the 1940 has a radiator shape reminiscent of this one.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 September 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hubby says top one is an American car, a Hudson 112 c1939 and bottom one is an Austin 10
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 September 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
The top image is indeed a Hudson 112. Pic attached for comparison.

Keith

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 September 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
It does looks quite similar.  I'd point out that the photo of the Hudson is a 2-door car.    The Pontiac mentioned is a four-door car,   which is what the south african car is.

Also,  while the shape is similar,  the front-end styling is not.

Another poster before mentioned Buick,  but all of the 4-door Buicks in the 1937-1939 period are quite a lot bigger,   and the 40 and 41 Buicks have a quite different body shell entirely.

There are literally thousands of car photos online,   and none look quite like this one.  Which is why I have suggested that it is an Australian-bodies GM car,  of which more than 30,000 a year were being produced in the late 1930's.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 September 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
The Hudson also has no bumper over-riders,   a very visible bonnet/hood handle,   and a total of only two windows in the side of the car,   where the car depicted in south africa has three.