Author Topic: Marr-Reid Marriage 1894  (Read 3972 times)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Marr-Reid Marriage 1894
« on: Monday 14 October 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
Looking for marriage of William Gordon Marr and Helen Anderson Reid at Newhills, Aberdeenshire c1894. Does not appear to be on Scotlandspeople.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marr-Reid Marriage 1894
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 October 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
What evidence do you have for the fact that they married and for the date?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 October 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
There was a Charles Marr born 2 June 1891 St. Rollox, Glasgow Lanarkshire to William Gordon Marr and Helen Anderson Reid.  ???

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTF3-WGZ

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
There was a Charles Marr born 2 June 1891 St. Rollox, Glasgow Lanarkshire to William Gordon Marr and Helen Anderson Reid.  ???

Clearly, why do you think that Charles' parents were married 150 miles away and three years later? What information do you have that you have not told us?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 October 13 20:54 BST (UK) »
..... and the reason is they were married in 1884 - not 94.   :)

Dowloaded the birth entry which gives the marriage details.

So, hopefully someone can look for the 1891 and 1901 census which should have them on it with possibly other children.

Please pm me with an e-mail address and I'll forward the birth entry.

Regards,

Steve

Offline allyhooton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marr-Reid Marriage
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
As I am new to Rootschat and my Scottish ancestry "Clearly" posted the initial query as he was showing me how to go about things!

I have an original death certificate for Helen Marr who, in 1949, was the widow of William Gordon Marr.  From other research I know that she was Helen Anderson Marr m.s. Reid.

I had searched the 1901 Census in Glasgow and found the family I wanted.  They are William Marr and his wife, Hellen.  At that time they had three children - Mary 14, George 12 and Lizzie 6. (Lizzie or Elizabeth is my greatgrandmother).  On Elizabeth's birth certificate it gives her parents marriage very clearly as Newhills, Aberdeen in 1894, hence the reason for believing that was right. 

Since last seeing "Clearly" I had also obtained George's birth certificate and although the place and date match the year is changed to 1884.  George's certificate does not include his parents middle names.

Thank you so much to Sandra who pointed out there was a Charles with the same parents born in Glasgow in June 1891.  I have checked this out and find that this is the same family although Charles died aged 13 months so he is never mentioned in in any census.  He was born between George and Lizzie, hence the gap in age differences in the 1901 census.

Despite now looking for William and Helen's marriage in Newhills, Aberdeenshire around 1884 I have still not found anything on Scotlandspeople. 

The census states William was born in Elginshire and Helen in Aberdeenshire.  Their first two children were born in Aberdeenshire - the rest in Glasgow.

Any help from this garbled potted history would be most appreciated!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

How old was Helen when she died?

What were her parents names shown on the death cert

EDIT - In case my reply makes no sense - Clearly (original poster) has now passed query back to new poster allyhooton and this new post has been merged with older topic
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Allyhooton , welcome to RootsChat  :)

I've merged your Marr/Reid posts together to prevent duplication of effort.

Have you looked at the marriage of William Gordon and Helen A Reid 1884 Newhills Aberdeen on SP ?

ev

Sorry Carole , posts now merged.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
In 1891 they are shown as Gordon & living in Lanark

William Gordon  32 b Boharm, Elgin bricklayers labourer
Helen Gordon  28 b Newhill, Aberdeen
Mary J M Gordon  4 b Old Macher Aberdeen
George M Gordon  2   ditto
Glasgow Barony ED 31 Page 7 Line 15
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)