Author Topic: Martha Copnall-What happened to her after she married in 1882?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Copnall-What happened to her after she married in 1882?
« on: Wednesday 22 January 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to fill in some gaps and I wonder if anything can see something I cannot. I am trying to find Martha Copnall(maiden name Bickley-father Robert born 1841 in Ellesmere, Shropshire) after 1882 when she remarries(her first husband Stephen died in Gloucestershire in the mid 1870s) an Alfred Brookfield born 1840 in Aigburth,Lancashire and he only ever appears on an 1851 census at a school in Ellesmere,Shropshire. Martha is still in Gloucestershire in 1881 running a boarding house and a widow. She married Alfred Brookfield on the 22nd June 1882 in Ellesmere. That's the last you see of Martha and the elusive Alfred(even his own family tree have never found him despite all sorts of attempts and ideas).
Martha's son from her first marriage Stephen Howard Copnall(baptised in Ellesmere in 1871) is also a mystery as he is in the Boer war and I have his military records until 1902 and he also disappears after this point. There may be a link as they are all missing. Did she stay in Ellesmere?Did she die between the censuses? Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
Any ideas please.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Copnall-What happened to her after she married in 1882?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Alfred is in the 1841 census in Toxteth Park,Liverpool aged 1 , as Alfrid - if you can get someone to try and get that family up on the census ,you might get the parents and siblings
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MQLW-7V3
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a death for a Martha Copenall age 56 at Nantwich ,Cheshire 8a 201.
Doesn't explain what happened to Alfred.
That 1841 census gives parents James and Catherine both 25 Fullwood Lodge labourer,n and y.
No other children.
However a baptism at Aigburth St Anne gives Samuel and Grace Catherine joiner 7.6.1840 born 8.5.1840.Brother Samuel baptised 3.4.1842 born 23..2 1842 also at the same institution in Ellesmere 1851.
Rest of family back in Garston 1851 Stout Lane Aigburth Vale.
Samuel Brookfield 38 master joiner employing 4 men and 2 apprentices Shropshire
Grace C 37 Lancaster
Cuthbert 7
Wilfred 6
Herbert 3
Frances A 2
Harriet Catherine born 1854 bapt 4.6.1854
Ciderdrinker

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 12:03 GMT (UK) »
would you believe I sung in the choir at St Annes Aigburth in the early 1960`s for 5 shillings at weddings
25p in todays money - and I was confirmed in St Annes in 1964...small world
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I did speak to several family lines of Alfred Brookfields tree but they are as baffled as I am and never solved where he was or what he was actually doing after 1851 and what happened to Martha after 1882 when she married him in Ellesmere. I have access to censuses etc but to no avail. Oh well!