Author Topic: Reilly, Elizabeth Reilly Born 1832 Cavan - Died Australia  (Read 4482 times)

Offline angelscove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reilly, Elizabeth Reilly Born 1832 Cavan - Died Australia
« on: Saturday 29 June 13 01:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my GGG? Grandmother who immigrated to Australia. The only information I have is what she has consistently informed on her children's birth certificates (13 born) and her marriage in Australia to William Gamble.

Born Cavan, Ireland, her age given always leads to her being born in 1832.   Ideally I would love to find her birth record, parents, siblings and emigration details (no records in Australia match her arrival).  She married in Brisbane (Ipwich) Australia, in 1854.  No parents listed on her 1894 death certificate.  I have exhausted all Australian records.

One main question I have to start my search is whether I could assume she would have been referring to Cavan as a County or a smaller division.  Any help & suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Offline angelscove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly, Elizabeth Reilly Born 1832 Cavan - Died Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 July 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
Any one have any suggestions

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 July 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
The term Cavan can mean Cavan town as well as the whole county. She could have come from either, though statistically she was probably more likely to have come from a rural area than the town.

Griffiths Valuation for 1856 lists 2637 Reilly households in the county. Without parents names and some idea of where in the county she came from, it’s a needle in a haystack.
Elwyn

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 July 13 15:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome

Hi there

I am in  Australia. 

May I ask if you have her 1854 marriage cert?  If so what info is available please so I can try to help.  If you dont have the mc  what document gives you the 1854 date please.

It is likely your lass arrived in NSW as Queensland waspart of NSW until 1859.  Tomorrrow morning I will look for the online link to NSW State Records Office and their Passenger Lists.  ... It is a free search and many lists are digitised. Details on these often give parents names and where from and age and religion ....

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline angelscove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 July 13 01:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. 

The closest match to a person arriving in Australia is from the Irish Famine Database (and NSW Records)

Name : Reilly, Elizabeth, 
Age on arrival : 15
Native Place : Butlers Bridge, Cavan
Parents : Terry & Mary (mother living in Co. Cavan),
Religion : Roman Catholic
Ship: Digby Sydney 4 Apr 1849
Other: Appendix J No 20 27 Jun 1849 indentures with Eugene Flynn, Castlereagh St., cancelled WPO. Im. Cor. 49/804 Moreton Bay. Register 2 No 15 23 Jan 1850 Principal Superintendent of Convicts submits application of Thomas Palmer to marry Elizabeth O'Reilly. 

I have been put off using the Digby information as her age given on her childrens birth certificates (13 instances) always suggests she was born in 1832.  Perhaps I should reconsider. 

I have traced all information in Australia and am now on the task of tracing back to the country of origin.

I do have the Registration of Marriage. 

Married William Gamble.  Elizabeth's Residence is stated as Brisbane, Moreton Bay.  Her religion given is a member of the United Evangelical Church.  Married by Charles Stewart of North Brisbane of the United Evangelical Church on the 27th of June 1854.

Kind regards
Angelscove

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 July 13 02:22 BST (UK) »
Perhaps another lass to consider

On the index for Assisted British Immigration 1839-1871 at PROV, I can see two lasses with surname REILLY arriving on the Statesman, into Victoria Australia in Oct 1853.   

Betsy REILLY, aged 19 and Mary REILLY aged 20.

Betsy could well be pet name for Elizabeth.  Perhaps Mary and Betsy were related to each other.   Perhaps Mary could be named after her mum….

http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=24

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4797849 The Argus 6 Oct 1853 …. Departed London 24 June, Southampton 10th July.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/65714831 Cornwall Chronicle (Tasmania) 12 Oct 1853
and Dartmoor 14 July

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 July 13 02:37 BST (UK) »
Re the 1849 arrival  :)

I am attaching part of the DIGBY passenger list’s entry for 15 yr old Elizabeth REILLY. 

The headings for these two columns are “Native place and County” and then  “Parents names, and if alive their residences”.   

Perhaps RChatters familiar with Cavan may be able to help with deciphering the residence.  I think (but not sure) the line below “Terry & Mary” gives “mother living in Co. C???????” 

Cheers,  JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 July 13 02:46 BST (UK) »

Married William Gamble.  Elizabeth's Residence is stated as Brisbane, Moreton Bay.  Her religion given is a member of the United Evangelical Church.  Married by Charles Stewart of North Brisbane of the United Evangelical Church on the 27th of June 1854.

Kind regards
Angelscove

Did Rev Stewart record the names of the parents of the bride and the groom? 

I see NSW BDM has indexed the 1854 marriage Vol 60, line 14. 
I see Qld BDM has indexed the same marriage with Ref BM626, 

Does Elizabeth sign her name (Digby passenger list gives her as "both" for Read / Write)....  :)

Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 July 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
Perhaps RChatters familiar with Cavan may be able to help with deciphering the residence.
Butlersbridge, Co. Cavan (between Cavan town and Belturbet- see map
http://www.cavan.ie/cavantourism/Default.aspx?StructureID_str=63

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!