Author Topic: Purcells Fields  (Read 29828 times)

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Purcells Fields
« on: Friday 01 July 11 12:39 BST (UK) »
Where exactly would Purcells Fields be. The marriage of my great, great, grandfather Edward Toole to Joan Casey states that both were from Purcells Fields and when my grandmother Margaret Toole marries in 1916 her address is also Purcells Fields. And so I know it must be in Bray.

I looked on place name search on Griffith Valuation but there was no trace of it. I also looked up Purcells Square and that did not exist on the Valuation either although by 1901 another ancestor was living there. I am wondering if the Square was built post 1870?

Well, if anyone out there could help me on this I would be grateful.
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Purcells Fields
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 11 13:40 BST (UK) »
Neither Purcell fields or square ring any bells, but in the 1890s there was a Purcell Terrace just south of (the half built) St. Kevins Square and Aberdeen Terrace  - where James Connolly Square is now. I will keep an eye out for Purcell fields on the maps ...

I wonder if an area around the west side of Bray main street might have been known locally as Purcell fields and the terrace named after it ?

You can see the terrace on the OSI c1890 maps : Purcell Terrace  (Select the 25" historic option)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
The map is fantastic thank you Shane. I would imagine that your assumption is correct and perhaps the land around Purcells Terrace was originally covered in fields or something. As my grandmother married John Burgess who was living in Church Terrace this seems logical as I should think people met and married within a small radius - no internet dating and stuff at the time! I can't find Dalton's Lane though as I didn't locate the search engine for streets. Do you know the name of the school opposite Church Terrace? Maybe my grandfather went there before becoming a baker.

Thanks a lot.
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Under the Red Cross on this OSI Map (select 25") - Dalton's Lane  Across the main street from Purcell terrace

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
found a mention of Purcell's Fields in a book titled 'That Favourite Resort - The Story of Bray' by Mary Davies which suggests that it was located somewhere in the town centre. The context is a sanitation report from the early 1870s on recommendations for improvements in the sewage system.

'... in the town centre Church Terrace, Hudson's Terrace, Pound Lane and Purcell's Fields were particularly singled out...'

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Shane that really helps me build up a visual image of where they lived! I'm a little disgruntled by the sanitation report hahahaha! I imagined Church Terrace to be quite a nice street! Oh well I don't actually know when my ancestors moved in there so at least I have the certitude that we were not responsible for the filth! Though Purcells fields may be a different matter.
I see too that Dalton's Lane is just around the corner as it were so that corresponds with the picture I'm building in my mind.
Fantastic thanks.

Do you know by any chance where the nearest bakery might have been to these addresses? I know my grandfather and great grandfather who died around 1896 were bakers but I doubt if they actually owned a bakery. It's hard for me to picture this as I live in Paris and around where I live there are at least ten small bakeries - a baker's shop with a qualified baker working for himself - within two to three minutes of walking time. Do you think it was like this in Ireland at this time? Even when I was a child in Dublin when I was small there was no baker but bread delivered to the local shops every day.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Just two bakers in Bray town that I can see in Thom's directory of 1894 - both on the Main Street, so close to Purcell's Terrace and Dalton's Lane etc

35 Heffernan, Mrs. baker
 76 Allen, Joseph, baker

The main street runs from the Dargle bridge to the town hall.

Shane

My Surname Interests

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, PURCELL'S FIELDS, HOUSES (052). Date: 1906-07. Nature: Housing scheme, for Bray Urban District Council . Refs: IB 48, 16 Jun 1906

Source: http://www.dia.ie/works/view/50306/building

However, there were some dwellings there at an earlier date. Cannon Scott,
Stones of Bray, re St. Paul's Churchyard Bray:

38.   John Hughes, Purcell's Fields. Age 9.  March 6  1867.
   Was a nurse child:  attended Bridge Schools, & after his death the children
   collected money to erect a small cross, which stands against the wall
   at the head of the grave.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, PURCELL'S FIELDS, HOUSES (052). Date: 1906-07. Nature: Housing scheme, for Bray Urban District Council . Refs: IB 48, 16 Jun 1906

Source: http://www.dia.ie/works/view/50306/building

Maybe that's the remainder of the UDC houses for St. Kevins/James Connolly square ?

I have a previous post somewhere with a map of this area..

Shane
My Surname Interests