Author Topic: TREASE/TRAIES continued...  (Read 97964 times)

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TREASE/TRAIES continued...
« Reply #405 on: Saturday 10 May 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've not been actively researching these Traies families but accidentally stumbled across what I believe to be an 1830 newspaper reference to James Traies. As usual, the name is spelt incorrectly, but location and occupation appear to fit our James. Unfortunately it does not tell us a lot apart from  a glimpse of his life outside work. I have transcribed the article here if anyone wishes to read it.
http://www.trease.org.uk/traies/txt/txt17s_ec.htm#james1830
Incidentally, I have found a huge amount of really interesting family information in the British Newspaper Archives - thoroughly worth a try if you've not done so already. 

Regards,

Bob

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: Sunday 11 May 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Thanks for the article, very interesting, reading between the lines the Traies must have been fairly well off - 'gold chain and seal'.  Checking through the BNA for various of my families is a task I have on my list of things to do during the summer when my MSc dissertation is submitted.  I am quite looking forward to being able to get back to my own family history :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
I have just noticed the following reference to James TRAIES in the Apprenticeship tax records: -

3Nov1798 James TRAIES apprenticed to Robt GAUL Tinman of Exeter

It only confirms what we already have found out from other sources but it is nice to get confirmation. 14 was a normal age for apprenticeships I believe so it also points to the baptismal record being  the correct one also.

There are also many London property references for James Traies: -
1816-1817 Mile End Old Town renting property from George Archer
1821-1829 St Marylebone renting property from E.B.Portman

Both above can be found on the Ancestry website.
 :)
You may already have spotted these. I haven't updated the website yet as I am doing a major review of the early TRAIES families and will update it when I finish hopefully before the end of the year.

Regards to you all,

Bob

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Thank you for the heads up about the apprenticeship record, will have a look.  I have found all the property records in London for James and some for my Samuel also. 

Nice to confirm something as you say!  :)

Having now finished my MSc at last I am looking forward to having time to spend on my family tree this winter, so beware there maybe Traies queries coming thick and fast!!!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Don't know whether anyone is still reading this thread, but just wondering whether anyone got anywhere with research into Elizabeth Michel married to Samuel Traies.  Xavier who appeared on here in 2013 never got back to me but recently I have found a number of family trees which fit with some of the information.  Louis appeared to have been born in Rouen in 1780 but I don't have any worldwide memberships currently which enable me to check this out. 

I have downloaded from Ancestry a number of baptisms for children which appear to fit those cited as siblings for Elizabeth on the trees found on that site.  Also some marriages.

Just interested to see if anyone has got anywhere with this bit of the family.

Kerryb :)

Offline mikerw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: Monday 20 July 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Just thought that I would add to the Trayes family tree.
Zipporah Trayes b. 19/05/1859 d. Isle of Man 1944 m. Richard Callin 07/01/1882. Zipporah and Richard had 10 children:
1.Richard b. 1883 emigrated to Frosburg, Maryland USA in 1901, m. Nellie Arnold and they had 5 daughters and 2 sons. I believe that there are still some of their descendants alive in the USA today.
2. Katie b. 1885 d. 1972 Southport, Lancashire, England. m. Charles Edward Winterbottom 1912. Katie and Charles had 3 children - Mona b. 1913, d. 1993, Richard Gordon b. 1915, d. 2003 and Reginald b 1920, d. 1980. Richard m. Ada Holmes 1941 and they had 3 children: Lynda Carolyn b. 1943, Andrew Gordon b. 1948 and Michael Robert b. 1951. Additionally, Katie had a son Tom b. 1909 d. 1993 Isle of Man - father unknown. I believe that Tom's descendants still live in the Isle of Man.
3. Millicent b. 1887 d. 1947.
4. Gertrude b. 1889
5. Eunice b. 1891
6. Bessie b. 1894 d. 1951
7. Alured b. 1897
8. Amy b. 1899 d. 1990
9. Lily b. 1908 d. 1992
10. Hilda Trayes Callin b. 1905 d. 1958
Hope this helps and big thanks to all those who have contributed to the Trayes family tree thus far.

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: Thursday 30 July 15 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry & Mike,

Apologies for delay. Am still very interested in this thread.
Kerry. Would be happy to undertake more research. Have a little bit of time at present. Have numerous updates to make to the Traies section of the website. One that might be of interest is Jame's great uncle William. There is a portait on the www : -
http://www.thepcf.org.uk/artdetective/propose-a-discussion/painting/william-traies-of-crediton-71006
unlikely to be father of William Traies the artist because he was under 40 when the artist died. Pretty sure it is the painting referenced in this Will
http://www.trease.org.uk/traies/txb/txb17w_mb_will.htm
 "to my said son John Traies the use but not the absolute property of my portrait during his life"..
Many thanks, Mike, for the updates to the IOM families - will add them to the website if that is OK with you. Will be back with another post soon.
Regards,
Bob

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: Thursday 30 July 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
OOH thanks Bob, that is very interesting and always like to 'see' one of the forebears!  I'm a bit confused about the picture's title though, it says father of the artist, but the artist is called Abbott?

I look forward to seeing what else you add to your website.  I had a look through it the other day and started to find bits I hadn't seen before.

As to the Michel family, I have had some information (from the ancestry trees) about a couple of the son's who emigrated checked out by rootschatters in Oz and NZ and all seems correct so am going to work through the other children. 

It would appear that although Louis's wife was Elizabeth Watts, an English sounding name, she was born in France too.  I am going to try to find baptisms for Louis and Elizabeth both in France over the summer.

Kerry

Offline gardenerbob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: Thursday 30 July 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
Apologies for confusion, I believe the portrait should be entitled William Traies of Crediton father of William Traies the artist of Crediton. The artist Lemuel Francis Abbott, per Wikipedia, lived from 1760 to 1803 (5/12/1802) and painted notable people of his era Nelson, Herschel, Cowper, Matthew Bolton & John Wilkinson, the industrialists etc. He lived in London and was declared insane in 1798 so would probably not have received many commissions after that. You'd think he would have been expensive to hire. William Traies the artist's dad lived from 1764 - 1849 and was not a rich man. In 1798 would have been only 34. Portrait seems of an older man than that. As William Traies the cordwainer was a wealthy man, born in 1728, and specifically mentioned his portrait in his Will I think it more likely that he is the subject of the portrait. I've been meaning to contact the museum and find out what facts they have got like provenance etc. - the fact they are seeking information suggests they may be themselves unsure. William the cordwainer's brother, John Traies the cordwainer, appointed another London portrait artist, Abraham Wivell, as an executor of his Will so there may be another connection there.

I will revisit the branch of the family you are researching and see what I can turn up. Be in contact again after I've done that.

Good to contact again - many happy memories of this thread - still find useful information on it when I revisit it.

Regards,

Bob