Author Topic: Burnmouth of Gollachy  (Read 19409 times)

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burnmouth of Gollachy
« on: Tuesday 11 January 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a relative born 1869 who states on birth cert that they are living at Burnmouth of Gollachy. I cannot find a  building on any old map. but abdnet has a NJ425632 which does not identify it though states there is a premises in 1851 Census. I believe there was also a  church there. Perhaps she was baptised in it and this leads to me thinking she lived there.  Any clues?
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Burnmouth of Gollachy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
If you have a look at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ4064 you will see a map showing you where Gollachy is, and some photographs including one of the Gollachy Burn. The map shows where the burn reaches the sea, and I would have thought that this is where Burnmouth of Gollachy would be.

However if I recall correctly the railway line was built along the coast in 1886 or so, and would have led to the demolition of any buildings in its way.

Why not have a look at the 1861 census transcription  at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and make a note of all the place names in the same enumeration district as Mains of Gollachy? Comparing that with the modern maps will give you an idea of which addresses have ceased to exist since 1869.

I note that there is no mention of Burnmouth in the GENUKI gazetteer for Enzie at http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/

NJ425632 is a point in a map square a mile or so inland from Gollachy, at Arradoul. I imagine that it is roughly the middle of an enumeration district in which Burnmouth is mentioned in one of the censuses, but it isn't a precise location.

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfararian,  thanks for the leads....have tried putting Mains of Gollachy in Freecen in the enumeration field but get message "over 1500 entries cannot display" so cannot get this place names display you mention. How do I use the Freecen site in the way you mention?
 I'm very new to this, though I've found the farms listings for the area but is there one for smaller settlements/crofts etc of around 10acres which seems to be the norm in my relatives of that era?
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfararian,  thanks for the leads....have tried putting Mains of Gollachy in Freecen in the enumeration field but get message "over 1500 entries cannot display" so cannot get this place names display you mention. How do I use the Freecen site in the way you mention?
 I'm very new to this, though I've found the farms listings for the area but is there one for smaller settlements/crofts etc of around 10acres which seems to be the norm in my relatives of that era?

Ah, no, I don't think it works like that. You can't easily search on a place name. I had it in my mind that your folk might have been in the area in 1861, and that you could have looked for them and then worked backwards and forwards to find the rest of the place names in the same enumeration district. If your people weren't there, just search for a common name and work backwards and forwards from that household. Geddes is a useful surname to use for Enzie.

Not sure what you mean by the 'farms listing'? The census recorded every household regardless of size, so all inhabited buildings should be listed.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 20:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a cottage at the Burnmouth of Gollachy called Salmon Cottage I believe. It's pretty old, although it had an extension added recently. The railway line wouldn't have effected any buildings there as it's half-way up the bank. About 100m up past the railway line used to be Mill of Gollachy and slightly further up was I believe Seafield Farm where my wife's Grandparents lived prior to WWII. LOng since gone.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 11 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gdub 
Thanks a lot .....I think you've cracked it..... his name was George Munro died 23/5/1908 and was a salmon fisher in his later days living it says on death cert at Burnmouth of Gollachy, Buckie. His middle of a tribe of 11 kids onwards were born at this address as per birth certs. I have a pic on www.walkhighlands.co.uk/moray/buckie.shtml  number 3 Buckpool which shows a ruined house near the Gollachy burn mouth. Is this the one you mention or is Salmon Cottage another one? I would really like a pic of it. I have a pic of another relative's croft ....Braehead Croft, Portessie which is now a very nice looking holiday hire cottage. I like to get pics to go with places. I have a stack of old photos from 1890s onwards to identify with buildings in them.  Still very early stage in hunting!!!! :)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 January 11 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello eth 

Although not able to bring anything to the party, the NLS site at:

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

gives you to zoom down to the area on the old 6" to 1 miles maps.  using the map function.  When you've about 5 bars left on your scroller, switch to the 'Historic' tab, the closer in you zoom the older the maps become.

Although not specifically named,  there appear to be  2 bothies/cottgaes near the burn mouth.

Regards,   Steve    :)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 11 16:28 GMT (UK) »
No, that's not the cottage. That's the remains of Midway Cottage, which is "mid-way" between the Salmon Cottage and Buckpool.

The Salmon Cottage is actually called Burnmouth Cottage at present.

I'll PM you some pictures
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 February 11 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for all replies and for pics sent by Gdub. Brilliant and amazing how so many kids were raised in such a pokey wee cottage :D