Author Topic: Barber family of Boharm, Banffshire  (Read 4381 times)

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
Barber family of Boharm, Banffshire
« on: Wednesday 06 August 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Good morning Chatters,

I am researching the Barber family for my mum's cousin. (Interestingly - for me - they connect to my Cheyne family back in the 1860s in Aberdeenshire and again in 1912 in Saskatchewan Canada). The family only knew of the more recent Canadian connection. ;)

Are there any great sites / sources for
- cemetery transcripts or headstone photos for Boharm?
- indexed newspaper article archives where I might find obituaries or other stories about the family in Boharm 1890 - present?
- family history stories (not records) or informative descriptions of life of the day?

I've purchased SP records so have followed the key family members that way. I'm looking to put "flesh on the bones" now.

The family in Boharm is:

John Barber
Birth 7 Feb 1865 in Monquhitter, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Death 29 Apr 1955 in Plank Cottage, Boharm, Banffshire, Scotland

He married 2x: Margaret Geddes 1855-1899 & Mary Ann Cowie 1865-1916.

I've identified 8 children: 3 born to Margaret and 5 born to Mary Ann (though the 1911 census indicates that Mary Ann had 7 children born alive with only 5 living by 1911).

Known children include:
John Barber  b1885 came to Canada.
William Robert Barber b1888 (family has an adult photo of him noted as Robert)
Mary Barber b1889,
Charles b1891 informant at his father's death in 1955, living in Forres, Moray,
David b1894,
Annie b1897,
Lizzie 1900 (family has an adult photo of her)
Mona 1904 (family has an adult photo of her)

Any help filling in the the story would be much appreciated.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barber family of Boharm, Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:35 BST (UK) »
Although John Barber & Margaret Geddes are unrelated to me, I do have some details of this family group given to me by the late Ann Marr who was their gtgtgddau. I haven't verified what I was given other than establish that this Margaret Geddes belongs to a large Geddes family group from Tarrymount, Bellie and Smiddyseat, Turriff who are not one of my family groups (yet!). The details I have don't all agree with what you've got though, so I'm wondering if there are two couples of the same name...?

Of the John Barber / Margaret Geddes I know about, Margaret Geddes was born 7 Dec 1852 Sauchwells, Bellie died 28 Jul 1888 Knowhead Boharm.

Details of marriage as given to me: "Marriage cert: 28 Nov 1885 at Garden Cottage Forgie after Banns according to the Forms of the church of Scotland John Barber 21, ploughman, bachelor, and Margaret Geddes, farmer's daughter were married at Garden Cottage Forgie. Groom's address Kinbroom Fyvie. Bride's address Garden Cottage. Grooms father- George Barber ploughman mother- Williamina Adie (this is an error her m.s was Taylor see birth cert). Brides Father William Geddes -farmer- deceased. Brides mother Margaret Thompson deceased. Witnesses James Barbour (as spelt on cert) and James Geddes."

Details of her death as given to me: "Death cert: married to John Barber Farmer died 28th July 1888 at 7 am at Knowhead Boharm Moray age 34. Father William Geddes Farmer deceased. Mother Margaret Thompson deceased. Cause of death Phthisis Pulmonisles one year. Informant John Barber signature." and
"LIBINDX NM010276: MARGARET BARBER ms GEDDES Spouse: JOHN BARBER FARMER Death: 28 JUL 1888 Place: KNOWHEAD KEITH Newspaper Articles Newspaper Description Date Page/Column MNE marriage 03/08/1888 1/1"

Your citation of dau Mary Barber born 1889 is odd. Because John Barber already had a dau with the same name:
Mary Barber "illegitimate born 17 October 1883 at 1.55 pm at 45 Balmellie Street Turriff. Father John Barber, farm servant. Mother Margaret Geddes, farmer's daughter. Both present and signed. Birth Cert"
She died on 24 Apr 1970 in Cullen: "LIBINDX NM145024: MARY OGILVIE ms BARBER Birth: c.1884 Spouse: JOHN OGILVIE 118 SEATOWN CULLEN PARENTS OF WILLIAM OGILVIE (my grandfather) Death: 24 APR 1970 Age: 86 Headstone Ref: G186"

She has an MI in Grange: "In loving memory of JOHN OGILVIE 118 Seatown, Cullen beloved husband of MARY BARBER d. 25 September 1958 aged 83; their son C.S.M. WILLIAM OGILVIE killed in action 25 September 1914 aged 37; above MARY BARBER d. 24 April 1970 aged 86."

I have more on the Barber/Ogilvie family but none on your Barbers. If you can establish we're talking about the same couple, then I could send you what else I have.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Fordyce. I'm thrilled to hear from you. This sounds like exactly the same people I'm looking at. I'm out of the house for 5 hours or so. I'll check back in with more details after that. Thank you for such a fulsome response. :)

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 August 14 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Fordyce,

Thank you again for your response.  :-*

Your info for daughter Mary explains why I couldn't find a birth record for her. I was working from the birth year in the census 1891 transcript which said 1889  ::).

Did you mean to write that her son William died in 1944 (rather than 1914)? How sad, but the record I found of his military record was impressive.

The family I've searched is Mary's brother John. Once I receive the photos from my mum's cousin for Mary's sibling William Robert and her half siblings Lizzie & Mona, I'll be pleased to share those if you'd like them.

I had the marriage dates for Margaret Geddes & John Barber off of the birth cert for son John Barber. Thank you very much for the additional detail.

After Margaret's death, John Barber married Mary Ann Cowie 22 Nov 1889.  The 1889 marriage date obtained from birth record for daughter Mona. The marriage was also confirmed on John's death record.

I'd love to know what more you have of this family. Do you want information on what happened to Mary's brother John in Canada?

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 August 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send the material I've got - it's only a six-page document but I'd rather send it privately than have it as an attachment here.

Re 1914|1944 - I just repeated what I had been given - which was both dates.

This is not my family's line, so whilst I appreciate your offer of photos etc, I'll decline this time, but I'll make a note and will come chasing if I ever do make the connection!

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 August 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
 :-* email address has been sent by PM. I look forward to seeing your info. Did the grand daughter who provided the original info have children?

Thanks again. :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 August 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Are there any great sites / sources for
- cemetery transcripts or headstone photos for Boharm?
- indexed newspaper article archives where I might find obituaries or other stories about the family in Boharm 1890 - present?

Try http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. I can't wait to dig into the site.  :)