Author Topic: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ancestors  (Read 29963 times)

Offline Mike A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Arthur Harding, b. 1866 in Ballincollig, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ances
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 April 06 06:23 BST (UK) »
Annie:

How do I post a picture of my grandfather as an avatar? I've been trying for about half an hour but nothing seems to work.  I participate in a boat-building forum and have no problem with posting pictures and avatars there, but that forum also has a member's picture gallery where you can upload your pictures first. I've tried amending my profile, too, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Rgds
Mike
AUSTRALIA - Chapman; Heineimann; McDonald; Osborne; Willard; Zerner
ENGLAND - Adams; Allsop; Cook; Coppin; Coppock; Eldridge; Harding; Halls; Lewin; Read; Swannell; Tanner; Tate; Thornton or Thorton; Vian; Willard
GERMANY - Duhs; Fink; Heineimann; Schroeder; Schwenkin; Sibke; Zerner
IRELAND - Harding; Jones; Long
SCOTLAND - Chapman; Dawson (or Desson); Ewan; Jessiman; Mark; McDonald; Ross

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ancestors
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 April 06 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm sorry to reply to you with questions, but I may have a theory about Arthur jnr and Minnie being first cousins but it depends on whether she is the daughter of James ALLSOPP, and how far you've traced her back.

Also do you have the names of their children born before 1901?

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mike A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ances
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 April 06 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Thanks for your post!
Yes, indeed, my grandmother Minnie Margaret Harding nee Allsop's parents were James Allsop and Elizabeth Harding.
They were married on 19 October 1856 in Croydon, Surrey.

Minnie Margaret was born in Wimbledon, Surrey, in 1867 and married Arthur Harding (b. Ballincollig Ireland in 1866) in Dartford, Kent, on 7 March 1896. My mother, Margaret Elizabeth Harding, was born in Wilmington, Dartford, on 21 April 1897. She married my father, Joseph William Adams, on 6 November 1920, in Hendon, Middlesex. (I was born in Hendon in 1942). My mother had one sister, Edith, but I haven't established her birth year yet (it was after 1901). I also have an unconfirmed report that Minnie and Arthur adopted a boy named Ronald Coleman, but whether this was an 'official' adoption or whether they just fostered him for a while, I don't know. Although I remember my Aunt Edith well, I do not have any recollection of a 'Robert Coleman' in the family.

As far as I can determine, Minnie's mother, Elizabeth Harding, died in 1868 and I think that James Allsop later marrried his housekeeper, Sarah Brand, in Wandsworth in 1876. James was born in Waltham Abbey, Essex, in 1832 and I think his father's name was Daniel, also born in Waltham Abbey about 1795/6. Daniel's wife's name was Ann, b. about 1807 in Cheshunt, Herefordshire, but I haven't been able to get back further than that.

I have been trying to trace Elizabeth Harding's ancestors, as I think they must have also come from Ireland and that is where the family connection must lie for Arthur and Minnie to have been first cousins. Unfortunately, the limited amount of information available from Irish records (especially from the other side of the world!) makes this a very difficult task.

Regards
Mike

ENGLAND - Adams; Allsop; Cook; Coppin; Coppock; Eldridge; Harding; Halls; Lewin; Read; Swannell; Tanner; Tate; Thornton or Thorton; Vian; Willard

Offline Mike A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 April 06 14:35 BST (UK) »
Daisy,

More on the above - I have checked the 1841 census and I think Elizabeth Harding was born in Surrey in 1833. The entry shows "Mary Harding, b. abt 1791 in Ireland, and William Harding, b. abt 1801. William's birthplace is not shown, but the census record shows he was not born in the census area - i.e., Surrey, so he may also have been born in Ireland. The entry shows another daughter, Mary Harding, b. abt 1828 in Surrey.

Looks like it all fits, but I can't be sure without some confirmation.

Mike

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Army units based in Ballincollig in 1866 & Harding ancestors
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 April 06 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

My theory exactly :)

So the Elizabeth HARDING who marries James ALLSOPP would have to be the sister of Arthur HARDING Snr, but I don't think there has to be an Irish connection if he was a British soldier serving in Ireland when you Grandfather was born.

I may have found another possibilty for Elizabeth in the 1851/1841 census... bear with me while I check a bit more...

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 April 06 15:29 BST (UK) »
Annie:

How do I post a picture of my grandfather as an avatar? I've been trying for about half an hour but nothing seems to work.  I participate in a boat-building forum and have no problem with posting pictures and avatars there, but that forum also has a member's picture gallery where you can upload your pictures first. I've tried amending my profile, too, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Rgds
Mike

Sorry Mike ! - I went to bed !!  :P :P :P  ;)

But try this - sounds complicated but it isn't - unless somebody can tell you again on here !!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

Annie  :) :)

Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Mike A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 April 06 15:42 BST (UK) »
Daisy,

Here's some more info I've found.

The 1841 census entry for Elizabeth Harding shows in the family a "Mary Harding, b. abt 1791 in Ireland" and a "William Harding, b. abt 1801." William's birthplace is not given, but the census record states that he was NOT born in the census county - i.e., Surrey - so it is possible that he was also born in Ireland. There is a 10-yr difference between William and Mary, but that is not necessarily significant, or could be a transcription error. (Another daughter is also shown - "Mary, b. abt 1828 in Surrey").

Now if Elizabeth Harding and Arthur Harding senior were in fact siblings and William and Mary were their parents, Minnie and Arthur Jnr were indeed first cousins, while William and Mary were my great-great grandparents.

This is looking a very likely possibility, but I will need to get some written confirmation before I can be sure.

Thanks for your interest and for prompting this line of thinking.

Rgds
Mike

Offline Mike A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 April 06 15:45 BST (UK) »

Sorry Mike ! - I went to bed !!  :P :P :P  ;)

Annie  :) :)

Thanks Annie, and so must I - it's nearly 1a.m. here in Oz and I've been sitting at the computer for hours! I'll try the link tomorrow.

Cheers.
Mike

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 April 06 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Here's the Elizabeth I found, she's with her brother Arthur in 1851 and living just up the road from where James ALLSOPP lives... :)

1851 census HO107/1602 f.290 p.37 Surrey Merton St. Mary

Clowers Cottages

James GALOR      Head     Wid        ?4  Shoemaker  City of London
Elizabeth HARDING  Step-daur U 17 Employed at home Kent Road
Arthur  "  "           Step-son   14                                Kent Road
Sarah GOFF         Step-Daur  12                        Surrey Sutton
Emily GALOR        Daur          8                         Kent Lewisham
Joseph "  "           Son          6                         Kent Road
Francis  "  "          Daur         4                         Surrey Wimbledon
Edmund  "  "        Son           2                           "  "        "  "

Do you have the marriage certificate of Elizabeth and James, which should show her father?

Daisy