Author Topic: Moir / Banchory Ternan 1638 to 1864  (Read 15635 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Moir / Banchory Ternan 1638 to 1864
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:22 BST (UK) »
Dundee Lass, have you looked at the various census information regarding the family?

Regards

Malky

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, thank you, I have tried to find them on census forms (Banchory ternan/Aberdeen/Dundee) using scotlands people site, I can only find them on the 1871 census at Lyon place Dundee (Duncan, Elizabeth and Fanny (Frances). I have Elizabeth at carnegie street Dundee in 1913, but can not find out when or where Duncan died, I only know that Elizabeth was a widow when she died in 1913.There were many Duncan Moir's in Scotland around the same time and another Duncan Moir was born in 1843 (same year as my Duncan william Davidson Moir) in newhills aberdeen . I have contacted the council to ask for a search for Elizabeth Moir's grave and expect to hear back from them shortly and hope that they may give me more information. I hope that there is other family members buried with her, as it may help me with my research, many thanks Dundee Lass

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 July 12 04:40 BST (UK) »
I think that you have to two families mixed up. There is information from the 1841 census's onwards which show a clear path of the parents and children, including Frances's birth through the 1881 census. (Fanny) is not Frances, as she has the wrong place of birth, (Perthshire) age and parents. Duncan Craven, Elizabeth's illegitimate son is still with her in 1881.

Regards

Malky

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
I think that you have to two families mixed up. There is information from the 1841 census's onwards which show a clear path of the parents and children, including Frances's birth through the 1881 census. (Fanny) is not Frances, as she has the wrong place of birth, (Perthshire) age and parents. Duncan Craven, Elizabeth's illegitimate son is still with her in 1881.

Regards

Malky

Now I'm confused.  Elizabeth [Craven] Moir was my great-great-aunt, daughter of my 2xGGF, George Craven.  Elizabeth's illegitmate son was George (Tych) not Duncan William, who was the 2nd child of the marriage with Duncan Davidson Moir. 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

This is the family I found in 1881

7 Clepington Street Dundee Angus
Elizabeth Moir 45 sack sewer b. Kirkcaldy Fife(showing as married)
George Craven 24 son b. Dundee
Frances Moir 17 daur. b. Banchory Kincardine
Elizth. Moir 12 daur. b. Dundee
Euphemia Moir 9 daur. b. Dundee
Margt. Moir 7 daur. b. Dundee

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 July 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, ev:  Yep - that is the correct census for Elizabeth Craven Moir and family.  George the illegitimate son is by then known as George Craven - in fact, he appears only once as George Tych (I think the 1861 census).  I still haven't figured out where hubby is as I had noticed the fact that she is marked down as being 'married'.

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have double checked that the Moir family were at Lyon street Dundee in the 1871 census,
but there is a couple of mistakes on the census form
Duncan Moir (iron turner)48 years (wrong age)
Elizabeth Moir 38 wife
Fanny (Frances) Moir age 7 years says born*perthshire, banchory...mistake it should read *Banchory ternan
Duncan Moir age 5 (he dies in 1872 at mcdonalds land, william street Dundee)
Elizabeth Moir age 2 born Dundee
George Tych stepson age 13  (later called george craven)
Cecilia Craven (sister in law) age 26 years born in Arbuthnott, Kincardinshire.
----------------
The names all fit and there is  Cecilia Craven (sister in law) so that must be Elizabeths Moir (nee Craven) sister
------------
1881 census
family living at 7 Clepington street Dundee

Elizabeth Moir age 45 years born kirkcaldy fife
George Craven age 24 years
Frances (Fanny) age 17 years born Banchory ternan
Elizabeth age 12 years born Dundee
Euphemia age 9 born Dundee
margaret age 7 born Dundee
the father Duncan willian davidson Moir is not on the census form, but elizabeth is down as married on the census..
Elizabeth dies in 1913 age 79 years and her death certificate states that she is a widow.
I can not find Duncan Moirs death certificate.
Thank you all for your help  :D regards Dundee lass
---------------

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 09:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are totally correct.  This was the only census in which George is noted as being 'Tych', and I am still trying to find who his father was.  As a matter of interest, Cecilia, sadly, died on the 12 July 1871, just 3 months after this census.  With regard to Duncan, I can't find him anywhere, not even in England.  I wonder if it is worth checking the Prison population at the time.  It could be, of course, that he was in hospital.  If i find anything, I'll be sure to let you know.

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline dundee lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 September 12 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydiaann, Im still trying to find out where Duncan went or what happened to him.
I have asked Dundee Parks dept to try and find out where the family are buried, this may give me more information.
I hope to hear back from them next week, I will let you know what they say. I am at present trying to find out if Duncan went over to America, as a few of his family members moved over there around that time. I have tried to find his death on scotlands people, it might be that his death is registered in Scotland and I can't find it because of a mis-spelt name or mistake, as I have found many mistakes on certificates of my ancestors that I have researched in the past.
I too have tried to find out about Elizabeth's son George (tych) Craven born in Dundee in 1857, but am no further in finding who his father was, kind regards dundee lass