Author Topic: Grants of Wick  (Read 20895 times)

Offline pink lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grants of Wick
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
hi Joe

Its not quite the end, I am still seeking information about Isabella Grant born 1872 and Margaret Grant born 1869, for which  I will keep searching, regarding the other Grant family history I wouldn't have been able to proceed so far back or gather so much information without your help and expertise, for which I am very very grateful.

Thank you and kind regards

Pink Lady

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 20:43 BST (UK) »
hi pal,

have you checked the lair that contains the parents?

maybe she was in last... contact the local council and ask for details..

do you think isabella ever married? she was 36 on the 1901 census, i reckon her death will be there on the scottishpeoples website.

another thing i do quite regular is i often guess their age at time of death and very often i am correct, due to the fact the male members do not live past the age of 70 and the females 75, i am not sure about your family but it might be worth a go.

regarding your maggie, is there any family rumour of where she may be?

trying to help

joe
helping wherever possible

Offline pink lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 October 07 20:57 BST (UK) »
hi Joe

I have checked the family lair (in person) via Wick library and a day in Wick cemetery, although at the time I wasn't aware there were six siblings, but no luck there. I have searched for them both on the scottishpeoples no luck there either, but I never say never and will come across them one day.

No family rumours I'm afraid, no one left to ask, one sister did marry and go to Edinburgh, my idea was, in the beginning eight years back was to find the sisters of my great grandfather and call it a day, but  genealogy got a grip of me and I am still trying to put bits to-gether, and with a lot of help and guidance from folk like yourself I have achieved a lot more than I expected too.

When I do find Maggie and Isabella you will be the first t know.

I remain grateful for all your help advice and expertise.

Pink Lady

Offline Great Scot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 January 12 16:45 GMT (UK) »
   Hello Pink Lady

I have recently taken up the search for my ancesters.  One of whom is David Grant, born Inshallon,
     Morayshire (Elginshire)

She married James McDonald before moving to South Africa.  I am the son of their only child. Janet.

I see I am years behind your good self and was wondering if you can help me with the tracing of
     Davidina's siblings, namely Alexander, Jane, Janet, Margaret Jane and Isabella.

So far I have got copies of all their birth certificatesplus the marriages of Jane to John Budge and
     Janet to John Cameron.  So far I have been unable to find any death certificates for them in
     Scotland Peoples.

Great Scot.

Offline pink lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 April 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
hello Scott

I am not to sure of the information  you have given me. Are you the grandson of Davidina? Daughter of
David and Janet Mcivor.  Davidina was born Wick 1875. if so I have a lot of information on the Grant family.

If there is a connection if you send me your email address I will be more than willing to give you all the information I have.

regards

Pink lady

Offline Great Scot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 April 12 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Pink Lady.

Yes I am the grandson of James MACDONALD and Davidina MACDONALD nee GRANT.  They had a daughter
Janet MACDONALD B. 1911 They had no other children.  Janet married my father James MCINTOSH in 1939, in Elgin, Morayshire. I am Donald MCINTOSH and I reside in Kent, England. Davidina is the daughter of David GRANT and Janet MCIVER and they Married in Thurso in 1864 giving their address as Stirkoke, Caithness.

I would love to hear from you about the GRANTS.  I have some details of them but, as I have been doing the family tree for a year or two I have only got back to David's family so far.

My email address is *

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Don.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Shaunaround

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 05:10 BST (UK) »
I was hopeful that these might be family of mine, but if so they would be cousins I guess. My great grandparents were Alexander Grant (1822-1901)and Margaret (Levack) Grant (1833-1925) of Gellock Farm, Wick, Caithness. My grandmother was Jessie Grant (1856-1931, wife of James McDairmaid (1849-1909) (I've come across many spellings of this Sirname) . They moved to Canada about 1886.
Jessie had a sister Margaret(born 1866) & a brother Ben who also eventually emigrated to Canada.
I have a great aunt Isabella but she was born McDiarmaid (1844-1928) and that family didn't move to the Wick area until about 1860 from Sutherlandshire.

I'm afraid I may have just confused your search, but far enough back our Grants could be related. 

Offline pink lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 December 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think there maybe a connection. Alexander Grant 1822 was the brother of my great great grandfather David Grant 1838. They were born in Morayshire to Alexander Grant 1799 Jane Cruickshank 1799. Moving to Kilminster Wick. I have little information on Alexander 1822 other than his marriage. I do have other information I can share with you, let me know if it is the same family.
Apologises for not answering earlier.

Pink Lady