Author Topic: Ann Dyer Queens County Ireland  (Read 32005 times)

Offline RoysSon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Dyer Queens County Ireland
« on: Friday 07 September 07 00:42 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace my gt gt grandmother Ann Dyer. She was born in Queens County Ireland.
From her wedding cert and death cert her mothers name was Maria Higgs, her dads name ? Dyer. Both I presume were from Queens County. Ann Dyer was married in Wanganui New Zealand Sept 1863 to Henry Revell born in Revelstoke Devon.
When she arrived in NZ I have no idea or on what ship I have no idea either. There is a rumour she came to NZ with her sister but have no idea of her sisters name.
Is there anyone who can help doing a trace on Ann Dyer, her father or maybe Anns mother Maria Higgs ?
Any  sort of help would be appreciated by their descendants out here in New Zealand as she is a total mystery here

Revell Revel Crocker Kingcombe Sarten Richards Goddard Bird Rogers Brough Broe Perham Fennell Faull Cleaver Hawke Hornblow Kingcomb Lye Pepper Scrivener Street Wallace Wood Higgs

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Dyer Queens County Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Is it possible that Ann Dyer's mother married or re-married after Ann was born, and hence bore a different surname by the time Ann herself was marrying?
Just a possibility...
Cheers

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 08 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello RoysSon,

What denomination were the Dyer family?

You'll probably have to look at church records as the first Civil registrations in Ireland were non Catholic marriages introduced in 1845. Civil registration for all other marriages as well as births and deaths was not introduced in Ireland until 1864. It could be a lengthy search as you've made no mention of a townland.

Christopher

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 December 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
hello there . Did you ever find trace of Ann? I have Elizabeth DYER b 1837c in Queens Co Ireland. Her death cert gives her length of residence in NZ as 55 years at her death,....makes it about 1861 arriving here. I have no idea how and when she arrived but she married a John HORGAN same year.
Her parents are given as Mary (Possibly Maria? )and Joseph DYER....Any help?
Cheers. Mila

Offline RoysSon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Mila. Im afraid that I still havent found any more info on our Anne Dyer. At the moment trying another slant on her. Got 2 names on her marriage cert that were witnesses to her marriage and hopefully they maybe close friends of hers. One appears to be British Army, the other I havent tracked down, still working on her. Seems strange that your Dyer is from the same area of Ireland. Your Elizabeth Dyer, do you want me to do some digging here in NZ? Would be easier my end being in NZ [ you in the UK? ] Would be a pleasure in helping you if I can, have had many ppl in the UK help me in the past and if I can return the favour would repay in part their help

Regards
Rex
 :)
Revell Revel Crocker Kingcombe Sarten Richards Goddard Bird Rogers Brough Broe Perham Fennell Faull Cleaver Hawke Hornblow Kingcomb Lye Pepper Scrivener Street Wallace Wood Higgs

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 December 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rex...Thanks for offer but I am here in NZ too!!.... I can't find how my Elizabeth arrived here as yet!!...her marriage seems to have been about the same time as arrival...1861.....Have found her death cert and birth of most of her children..but more than that????!   That's why I wondered if our two Dyer ladies could be related.....oh and my Elizabeth was in Waimate South Canterbury..... Regards, Mila

Offline RoysSon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 December 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there again. So you are a Kiwi ;D
It is very possible that these 2 ladies are related ... esp if they are from the same county in Ireland. From corresponse through here the name Dyer and Higgs isnt common to Queens County. There also is a rumour I heard in the family that my Anne came out to NZ with a sister but like you, never to date have I seen her name on a passenger list. But passenger lists can be abit short on specifics, found a few lists with names listed but at the end has " and 5 others" Really helpful aye !! Something interesting in our family bible as well is a name "Mrs Dyer" .... no one has a clue as to who she is, my bet it could be Anne Dyers mother, but I wouldnt put money on it at this stage.
Would you mind sending me any info you have on your Elizabeth Dyer ..? I can send you what I have on Anne.
Have you done a search on shipping lists? I can remember doing a search and found a few Dyer's but none of them were the one I was looking for. Your one must have come through Lyttlton or Port Chalmers seeing she was at Waimate. My Anne may well of came through there as well ... she had been a resident for a few years before she tied the knot with Henry Revell going by the wedding Cert if you can believe that. My last calculation was that she was in her early teens when she came to NZ so must have come out accompanied?

Cheers
Rex

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 December 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Rex...I just found a Maria DYER and a Joseph Dyer both at Killimy. Coolbanagher in Laois  1848-1864
Found on the Griffiths Valuation list.....Worth trying do you think??
Regards, Mila

Offline RoysSon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 December 09 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes I had a look at that one some time back... one of the guys in this Rootschat put me onto that
Worth a look on your side

Rex