Author Topic: Help with Uniform  (Read 1718 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Uniform
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 July 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
I think T = Territorial; confirmed by the six-digit number issued in March 1917 when all Territorials units were renumbered to reduce duplication.

510449 was in a block issued to Wessex Div Sig Company.

From 1914-1918.net:

Signals Company RE

In 1914 each infantry Division included a Signals Company with a total strength of 162 men. It was organised into a Company HQ and 4 Sections, of which No 1 Section was responsible for communications with Divisional HQ and Nos 2-4 with the Brigades of the Division.
•Major or Captain in command of Company
•4 Lieutenants (or Second Lieutenants), one each commanding a Section
•25 other ranks at Company HQ (Company Sergeant-Major, Company Quartermaster Sergeant, 1 Sergeant at Company HQ, 1 Sergeant and 1 Corporal in Signallers Group, 1 Sergeant and 8 Corporal in Despatch Riders Group, 1 Shoeing Smith, 1 Trumpeter, 7 Drivers, 2 Batmen)
•248 other ranks in No 1 Section (2 Sergeants, 2 Corporals, 3 2nd-Corporals, 1 Shoeing Smith, 26 Sappers, 12 Drivers, 2 Batmen)
•72 other ranks in total in Nos 2-4 Sections (3 Sergeants, 3 2nd-Corporals, 24 Sappers and 6 Drivers in telephone sections; 3 Sergeants, 3 Corporals and 18 Sappers in signallers and despatch riders sections; 6 Batmen, 3 Sappers and 3 Drivers at Section HQs)
•2 attached Privates of the Royal Army Medical Corps for water duties
•1 attached Driver of the Army Service Corps (not counted into strength as officially he was part of the Divisional Train)

The Signals Companies relied on horses for transport and had an establishment of 33 riding horses plus 47 draught heavy and 4 pack horses. There were also 32 bicycles and 9 motorcycles.

With the exception of the Trumpeter, all other ranks were armed as infantrymen, carrying the SMLE rifle.

Ken

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 July 14 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, Territorial was my first thought when I found the medal index card, however I am no expert and am always open to other explanations and opinions.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 July 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Sadly I am not at all convinced by the number to the rear of the picture. I am more than opined that this is the photographers indexing number, and not at all his Regt number.

Secondly, I am also not convinced that this is a RE chap...I am leaning more towards 13th Hussars (or even  Dorset Yeomanry).

Sorry to put cat amongst pigeons
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 July 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Welcome Scrimmers, long time no hear. Not the 13th Hussars, their collar dogs looked like that but not the cap badge.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 July 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
Back again,

This is Dorset yeomanry and City of London Yeomanry (rough riders)

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 August 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
Whilst I don't think the badge in the photo is the 13th Hussras I would point out that they had 2 designs of cap badge.  One was the Z type shown and second was the full sized version of the collar badge shown.

The Roughriders badge is significantly larger than the others so you can discount that one.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 August 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I have to agree with you Alan although everything I have looked at is of the opinion that they had probably stopped using that badge by WW1. Whilst searching I found another candidate although again date could be a deciding factor.

I must look out my copy of Allan Mallinsons book on the regt and see if it is mentioned in there.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)