Author Topic: John Sharman at Barnard Castle in 1901, but where is he thereafter?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
  • **** Sharman family crest ****
    • View Profile
John Sharman at Barnard Castle in 1901, but where is he thereafter?
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:06 BST (UK) »
My g.grandfather's cousin John Sharman (born Edenham, Lincs. in 1875) disappears after his 1901 census listing at Barnard Castle. I've got quite a lot of detail about him up to then. However, he refuses to be found thereafter apart from a faded inscription on his parents' gravestone at Edenham quoting 1915 or 1916 as his year of death. I've tried writing to all Sharmans in the area who are in the phone book, but to no avail. If you come across him post-1901 in your research, please let me know. Thank you.
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Sharman at Barnard Castle in 1901, but where is he thereafter?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could this be your man? -

John Sharman
Birth Place - Bourne, Lincs
Died -14 Oct 1915, France and Flanders
Enlisted - Southwell, Notts
Rank - Cpl
Regiment - Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment
Battalion - 1st 8th Battalion
Regimental No - 1245
Killed in action

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
The CWGC has the above soldier's father as Thomas Hoyles Sharman, of West Thorpe, Southwell. Notts.

What was John's father's name?

The inscription on John's parent's grave of 1915 or 1916 would indicate a WW1 death

JJ

Offline sherlock1207

• RootsChat Member
  • **** Sharman family crest ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the amazingly speedy reply, but that is another family member. The John Sharman you cite was my grandfather's brother born in 1895. We're a large and complex tribe around the East Midlands. The parents of the 1875-born John Sharman I'm looking for were George (1823-1905) and his second wife widow Lettice Smith (née Hensman) (1836-1923). Thanks again.
Bond Hoyles Mettam Sharman primarily in counties Durham Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Yorkshire