Author Topic: Seeking Mary Pywell of Benefield c1800  (Read 11467 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Mary Pywell of Benefield c1800
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 February 11 15:24 GMT (UK) »
1861 census Charlotte is a Servant born c 1836, Bitchfield ;D
Living in Middlesex
RG9/99/141/29
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 February 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Well found Trish!

Shape indeed. It is clearly Thorpe.  ::)

Anyway, Samuel is born out of county (I thought it was Leicestershire on the 1851 but writing is not clear). Have you traced Samuel's family jbarnes?

More importantly the 1841 census gives bothe Samuel and Mary's ages as 35, so even taking into account rounding of ages, she is not that much older than Samuel.  ;)

It makes the Benefield chr I found look more promising.

Offline jbarnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Amazing find, Trish, how did you come across Shape?  Anyway, between your find and your effort, Ruskie, I am now sure I have a firm sighting of Mary Pywell's lot and, in particular, Susanne's link to Samuel.  Thanks to both of you for that!

In answer to your question, Ruskie, identifying Samuel's parents is a bit of a lottery - from different sources, he is variously listed as being born in Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, and Northampton, so I am still hunting.
But, again, thanks for you help with Mary P.
Willding of London; Duke of Ulverston; Beard of Bath; Barnes of Middlesex

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Samuel is variously listed as being born in Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, and Northampton,

I wonder if this is a clue about his place of birth? Possibly one of the towns/villiages near the border where the counties meet.

It might be worth looking at the counties and their borders, seeing if there have been any changes and when these changes took place, and then looking at Samuel's places of birth on the censuses to see if you can make any connection.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I found them by looking for a Charlotte born c 1834 ( no surname) living in Benefield and got lucky ;D

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jbarnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 March 11 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, you and Ruskie have enabled me to mark this post 'completed' - many thanks  :)

Offline applebottom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 April 13 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I havent visited Rootsweb for a few years, just logged on and found your thread.  I have quite a lot of details of the Pywells of benefield.  Duke (Marmaduke) is my 4 x gt grandad.  He was married to Susanna Bowman.  Mary Pywell was b in 1802 and lived and worked in Benefield (Northants) all her life.  I cannot find any trace of her leaving. (She is my 3x Gt Aunty) She married Samuel Lee in 1832 in Kettering, and died 2 March 1887.  I can go back beyond Duke by a few more generations.  I recently went up to Benefield and visited the local church.  It was really beautiful and I took photos.  Hope that helps  all the best

Offline jbarnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 April 13 05:47 BST (UK) »
Greetings Applebottom,
I am delighted to hear from you and hope you can help me further:  My 4xgGrandmother was Mary Pywell, born Benefield and married Samuel Thorpe, in Benefield, 18th December, 1831.  Apparently, not the Mary Pywell of your line as she married Samuel Lee in 1832!  Making matters worse (for my research) is the possibility that both Marys had fathers by the name of Marmaduke Pywell and both Marys (and Samuels) stayed in Northamptonshire.
It was a daughter, Susanna Thorpe, who left for Isleworth, Middlesex, sometime after 1851 and married John Barnes (my ggGrandfather) in 1866.  But, who were (my) Mary Pywell's parents?  Can you help?

Offline applebottom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 June 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
I really should visit this site more often shouldnt i!  Mmm, interesting that we have two Mary's - one of us could be wrong of course.  I will need to go back through my research and see what I can find and see how I know that my Mary was married to Samuel (I say this because she is a more remote relative of mine so it is very easy to be a bit more loose with the research, whereas when its a direct relative you can usually be 98-100% certain of your research).  Leave it with me!