Author Topic: mary bird born c1815 guernsey  (Read 10374 times)

Offline katiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mary bird born c1815 guernsey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 September 13 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Larkspur thats a big help :D

Offline katiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 September 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Larkspur
I have just been reading your post again about Newark  baptisms for Cobb.
I am a little confused as the William on there married a different Mary to my William(George's son)
I have probably just read it wrong.Would it be ok to put a couple of mine on here to see if they tally with what you have :-[
Katie

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 September 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
May not be you that's wrong Katie - it may be me. I only had a quick look at  William Cobb marriage Newark.
Go for it with yours, you never need to ask to post on here. We are a friendly bunch as a whole  ;)
There are 9 W Cobb marriages at Newark St Mary Magdalene. 1 at Christ Church.

Just to add, a lot of my Newark family were based in Cross Guns Yard. So not much of a coincidence that one of mine, Ann Judson -2nd great grand aunt -married George and Mary Ann's son Thomas Cobb Sept Q 1858 in Newark, they had 9 children.
Even better than that Rebecca Cobb, Thomas' sister married John Thomas Judson Ann's brother. They had 6 children.
Just to show how tangled up all these families were Thomas and Ann's son another William Cobb married Mary Warriner, who was also my 2x grand aunt. She was sister to My 2x great grandmother Betsy Warriner and she married Moses Judson, who was Ann Judsons sister.
Now just try and work out that little lot........ ??? :o
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline katiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 September 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Looks like we are from the same Cobb's.The William who married Mary Warriner was my Great Grandfather. :) :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
No Cobb's in my line though. My connection is through the Warriners.
Mary Warriner was baptised 30 April 1862 in St Mary Magdalene Newark.
She married William Cobb 14 May 1880 in the same Church.
I have 11 children for them, who are my 1st cousins 3x removed.
Mary was the youngest child of William Warriner and his wife Hannah Merrin. They had 9 children.
On the 1851 William and Hannah were in Elston, by the 1861 they were in Cross Guns Yard, Newark. On the 1871, 10 year old Mary makes her first appearance.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline katiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
Fascinating information.Would you be willing to share your information on the Warriners and would you like any on the Cobbs :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 16:05 BST (UK) »
PM  ;)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 December 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I know this is old thread and things have probably moved on, but found it when searching for Bird in Channel Islands.
FindMyPast has a burial for William Bird in Newark on 3 Oct 1843 age 82 so calc year of birth is 1761, so likely to be your William Bird.
Familysearch has marriage for William Bird and Mary Whittaker in Newark on 5 Nov 1821. Unless a more likely William and Mary turn up, this could be the same William Bird who has been widowed and remarried late in life.
Family search also has baptism for William Watkins Bird or Rogers 28 Jan 1833 in Newark giving parents as Mary Bird and George Rogers. Could Mary Ann have given her child the christian name Watkins because it was her mother's maiden name since it isn't the father's surname?
Someone suggested William and Mary as Mary Ann's grandparents, but it isn't unreasonable that William could be her father, he would be just over 50 and William's first wife (if Mary Whittaker is his second ) could have been a few years younger and Mary Ann their last child. As to Mary Ann's birth in Guernsey, could William have been in the military at some time? we were fighting just about everyone in Europe and North America in early part of 19th century. My Channel Islands connections are mainly from Army families with a string of children born all around the country and abroad as they were moved around following conflicts.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott