Author Topic: The Bacon Arms, Newbury.  (Read 4093 times)

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
The Bacon Arms, Newbury.
« on: Sunday 23 February 14 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for information about the Bacon Arms in Newbury.  The only history i can find so far is who it was named after.

The information is for a novel i am writing and i wanted to get a good idea of what the place was like.  Google so far has only come up with how to book a room etc rather than any history.

Thanks for any help offered.

Rotosis
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Bacon Arms, Newbury.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 February 14 18:04 GMT (UK) »
It would help to know what period you are interested in, the place has changed over the years.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 February 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newburychap

Sorry about that.

1830 - 1836 is the story line.

Rotosis
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 February 14 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Interesting period, the GWR was busy building it's railway - which was about to ruin many innkeepers along the Bath Road. The fare (1836) from the Bacon Arms to London was the same as that to Bath - 16s inside the coach, 8s outside (fares for New's Coaches).

The Bacon became the Bacon around 1825, a 'commercial' inn - the sort of place that travelling tradesmen would stay - the gentry would stay at the Castle or the Pelican (or the Jack or Globe in Newbury).  Stagecoaches on the London - Bath/Bristol and Southampton/Oxford routes would call.  There were several similar inns, the Angel, the Cross Keys & the Chequers in Speenhamland and several more in Newbury. Most of these lower class inns were to survive the coming of the railway - the bigger, posher inns didn't.

The Bacon seemed to do pretty well, there were plenty of auction sales there in the 1830 and only one change of owner - in 1832, when Richard Moody died and John  Woodroffe took over.  Woodroffe left in 1842 to take over the Cross Keys - I'm not sure if this indicates a move up or downscale (I suspect down). If I am right it might indicate that he was not doing so well at the Bacon once the railway opened - which would be no surprise and the amount of commercial activity there does seem to drop off in the late 30s (if the number of newspaper adverts are anything to go by).

Woodroffe was a member of the Welford & Newbury Yeomanry troop - with which Anthony Bacon (source of the new name of the inn) was associated - they had their annual dinner at the Bacon in 1833.

Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newburychap

Thank you very much fro the information. It is good to know I can use the railways too though i have kept to horseback for my gentlemen so far.  I will revise the name and have him staying at the Castle or Pelican as you suggest, he is meant to be gentry after all.  I had never really realised there was a different caliber of Inn for the gentry though i know some were much better than others.

Thank you :)

Rotosis
Wifes side    

Husbands side

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 February 14 14:13 GMT (UK) »
You can't use the railways to Newbury until 1847, the GWR completed the line to Bristol in 1841 but avoided Newbury - earning it the alternative name of the Great Way Round, but making towns out of Didcot and Swindon.

The Castle was already in trouble in the 1830s, so the Pelican would be the obvious place to stay - he might even meet Dickens in the dining room. Dickens described the Pelican both before and after the railway - in stark contrast. In a letter to his editor in 1835 he praised the inn and its accomodation, whereas in the Uncommercial Traveller (pub 1845 - Chap 24) he describes an inn (the Dolphin's Head) in terminal decline that is believed to be based on the Pelican.

In the 1830s the landlady of the Pelican was the redoubtable Mrs Botham - Frank Stillman in his booklet on Victorian Newbury (1893) described the Pelican and Mrs B:

Famous amongst these was, of course, the “Pelican,” of which Quin, the actor, wrote the oft quoted lines—
“The famous inn at Speenhamland,
That stands below the hill;
May well be called ‘The Pelican,’
From its enormous bill.”
Whether this was “writ sarcastik” is not related, but the landlady, Mrs. Botham, was a popular character with all travellers along the road. She was genial, jolly, and business-like, and presented a pleasant picture, as with rotund form, ruddy face, lace cap and black silk gown of irreproachable quality, she stood at the door, smiling and bowing as her distinguished patrons drove off. Or what more comfortable prospect could await the weary traveller, who in those days truly found his “warmest welcome at an inn.” The “Pelican” then was a big establishment, occupying a much larger area than now, the frontage extending from Messrs. Hunt’s premises right down to the “Cross Keys,” the establishment also branching out into the backway of Speenhamland. There was accommodation for a small army of travellers, but even then the resources of the hotel were sometimes severely taxed. There was a long range of stabling, and frequently as many as 300 horses were put up there. A corresponding number of grooms and ostlers, found employment there, and only the older generation who were acquainted with this particular class of men can fully appreciate the humours of the Wellers, father and son, so admirably portrayed by Dickens. Old Harry Scroggins, who eked out his later years by selling nuts and oranges, was almost the last of the post-boys, who attired in yellow jacket and white breeches, were as familiar as the old yellow-bodied “shay” peculiar to the “Pelican.”

The railway did for Eleanor Botham, she was declared bankupt in 1841 (the railway had bypassed Newbury the previous year when it ran a service from London to Wootton Bassett near Swindon). Mrs B was left with a large coaching business - there is evidence that her husband George her predecessor as licensee owned more than 100 horses that he hired out to travellers needing a new team to take them to Reading or Marlborough.  The Pelican kept going for a while longer and the yard supported a livery business into the C20th but the glory days ended in 1840.

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 February 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Wow

Thank you very much Newburychap this is really awesome and yes I will mention Mrs B in the book as for Dickens it sounds a delightful idea. I did something similar in another draft which I have yet to finish.

Thank you once again for all the historical data for Newbury, acknowledgements will be in the book for your assistance.

:D

Rotosis
Wifes side    

Husbands side