Author Topic: Heathstown, Athboy  (Read 5708 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Heathstown, Athboy
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I have recently been sent a copy of a reference written by Richard Dyas of Heathstown House on 14 Feb 1855. He states:
"I have known Michael Allen and his father for some years & from their high character of strict honesty and attention to their business I employed them to superintend a property in which there was a heavy charge that I was concerned for & which remit they discharged the trust reposed in them entirely to my satisfaction. I look on Michael Allen as a young man that could fill a situation with credit to himself and advantage to his employer."

Michael Allen was my great grandfather. Most facts of his life are known [wife, children, death, other positions [I have references from 1857, 1888, 1892 & 1898] but WHO WAS his father? One possibility is Thomas Allen who married Anne Englishby in 1827 in Athboy & had a Michael in 1829 baptised at Balgrath, Athboy & also a Bridget baptised in 1837 but no proof this Michael is MY Michael yet.

What I wondered was - might there still be any employment records for Heathstown where Michael's father may be named?

Thanks for any help, Josey.

ADDED: I looked up Richard Dyas & apparently there were 4 attempts to assassinate him over the years! With political motives, so hopefully not disgruntled ex-employees  ;D
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON