Author Topic: MacDONALD and CLARK  (Read 3491 times)

Offline youngrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MacDONALD and CLARK
« on: Tuesday 28 December 04 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking any information on the following or their descendants:
Donald MacDONALD and Marion CLARK, marriage date unknown.
Children (all born at Bowmore, Islay):
Archibald b18 July 1823 (not sure if this one belongs)
Julia b08 August 1831
Marion b10 November 1833
Donald b02 February 1836
Lily b20 September 1838

Julia and Lily emigrated to Launceston, Tasmania (previously Van Diemen's Land), Australia, arriving aboard The Anitpodes in 1861.

Julia married George WILLIAMS on 3 June 1861.
Lily married Jabez YOUNG on 27 January 1862. These are my husband's g grandparents.
Nothing is known of the other siblings, or of their parents. Did they also come to Australia, or, like many others was Canada their destination. I would love to find out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacDONALD and CLARK
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi youngrob, I hope you are still checking in on Rootschat. I came across this old posting the other day while browsing. As I was going to the records office in Edinburgh yesterday anyway I thought I would have a search for information. Not a lot there unfortunately. I did find another sibling of Julia/Lily. In the 1841 census there is a sister Margaret, born c. 1827. I was unable to find a precise date of birth - not mentioned in parish records. I even tried  later dates just to make sure  given that Julia, Marion, Donald and Lily were not officially registered until 1843 as a 'job lot' (though the proper dates of birth were listed in the entry). Archibald is also listed as a son so you can be sure that he does 'belong'. I came across something else too. In the 1851 census Donald snr. (aged 54) is now married to a Mary (aged 36). Given that Marion was listed as being 40 years of age in the 1841 census I don't think the 'Mary' entry in 1851 was a transcription error. I did a bit of checking and I came across a marriage in Bowmore for 1849. The marriage was between a Donald MacDonald and a Mary McIndeor. Taking things back again, I found a birth in Bowmore for a Mary McIndeor in 1817 which almost matches the correct age for the Mary in the 1851 census. If my hunch is right it seems that Marion must have died sometime between 1841 (after the census) and 1849. Also in the 1851 household are Donald and Lily and a grandson named Archibald, aged 3. I know all this may not be any real  help to you, but unfortunately in Scotland official BMD certification did not start until 1855 and the parish records, while all digitised, contain few if any death records and a lot of marriages are 'missing' (including Donald and Marion's). On the immigration front I did find the details for Lily and Julia voyage (even though Lily was listed as 'Jully') but nothing really for the rest of the family. Will keep you posted if I find anything else.

Regards

Doddie