Author Topic: Gabb Family - Longney Gloucestershire  (Read 8709 times)

Offline kellygabb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gabb Family - Longney Gloucestershire
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hiya, I'm looking into my family tree. My line of Gabb's seem to be based in Dursley, Cam, Saul/Fretherne/Frampton and Longney.

The furthest back I have managed to get is to my Great Great Great Great Grandfather, a blacksmith called George Gabb (born 1796) married to Ann Wilkins. They lived on Bellamy's farm in Longney. I believe they had 3 children - George John Wilkins Gabb (1834 - 1907) Thomas Gabb (born 1843) and Eleanor Gabb (1838 - 1909).

If anyone thinks they may have any information that will help, please get in touch!

Thanks - Kelly
Gabb Family from Longney/Saul/Frampton in Gloucestershire

Di Prizio Family

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Gabb Family - Longney Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
 Hi Kelly, Welcome to Rootschat :)

Possible from Familysearch ???

George GABB
Christened 21 June 1795, Longney, Gloustershire
Parents, George Gabb and Elinor

Siblings;
Mary,  09 June 1794
Hannah, 03 December 1797
Sarah, 03 July 1803
Eliza, 21 June 1807

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline kellygabb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, thanks for getting in touch. The George Gabb's that I have were born in 1781 and 1796, so do you think that your christening date would be too late to be one of these? I'm not entirely sure that George is the father of George (confused yet?! - I am!) because that would make him 15 when he had George.

But George Gabb born in 1796 was married to Ann Wilkins and they had 3 children - George John Wilkins Gabb (1834-1907) Eleanor Gabb (1838 - 1909) and Thomas Gabb (1843)

But now I've typed that, I'm looking at the dates and wondering if I've got the right ones, do you think George would have been having children between the ages of 38 and 47?!

(can you tell I'm new to this?!)

Di Prizio Family

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Kelly,

You will find Gabbs in Longney in the HW site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyGloucester_(A-M).htm#L

As you will see I have the Gabb name in my family tree at Stonehouse which is five miles from Longney according to Parloc from http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/parlocdl.html

Seeing that you're new to this lark, you might find a lot of useful  help, guidance and links at http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline kellygabb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Chas!

I'm still stuck on George born in 1796 (I have details from the 1741 1751 and 1761 census') The only other detail I know about him is that his father was also called George 1778 - 1868. I got these dates from the England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1915 on ancestry.co.uk. I'm just stuck. I can't find any more details on ancestry!!!

Di Prizio Family

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

I have now looked at the 1841/1851/1861/Census entries fro this Family.
I would still go with the christening I posted as your George born abt. 1796 . Remember Census ages were often slightly out.
Extra confirmation as far as I am concerned is the naming of George and Anns only daughter ELINOR/Eleanor.

I also noticed there is a William WILKINS, 65, Butcher, and Sarah Wilkins, 60, living nearby to the Gabbs in 1841 Census
Possible parents of Ann Wilkins?

Trish

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 07:23 BST (UK) »
Kelly,

As Trish says, ages calculated from census details are often inaccurate besides which the 1841 (you had a typo!) census only gives ages rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5 for persons over 14.

Regards

Chas

P.S.
If you are not convinced of the ages Trish gave, you should search LDS film number 425459
at an LDS FHC - find them via http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp  -  from which the details at the HW site were extracted - if you haven't visited HW, you really should.  The details you have might have been deleted from a Longney batch but that's another story.  C

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

I just realised you got the ages from Freebmd. Remember the info is only from the informant of the death to the Registrar.
If the person dies for example in a Hospital then age can be well out.
The only way you can be sure is to purchase the certs to see who the informant was and establish if they were close enough to the deceased to have a good if not totally accurate idea of their age.

George Gabb, born 1778 is living with the Jones Family in 1841/1851 census and I have been unable to find a connection which you would think there was for them to have him lodging with them for so long.

Do you have the the Marriage Cert of the child of George and Ann you are descended from?
Trish

Offline YvonneT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 August 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have got myself in a right pickle with the Gabb Family,

I have George Gabb born abt 1761, His son Daniel Gabb born abt 1804 married Elizabeth Hill, They had a son Frederick Gabb born 1828 and married to Jane Gwatkin.

Does any one know of any siblings for Daniel Gabb.

I have all these Gabb families within spitting distance of each other but can't find the link , I am hoping Daniel have sibs that would tie them together.

regards Yvonne James