Author Topic: Place Names in the Black Isle  (Read 20805 times)

Offline lspecht

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fowler
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 July 08 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

So sorry to reply this way, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to respond directly to your last message.

Thank you so much for the information you passed along.  There is definitely a connection to between your Janet Fowler and my Colin Fowler.  From what I’ve been able to determine from the IGI, Colin Fowler and Cathrine Gordon had the following children (maybe some of them show up in your listing of MI’s):

Janet Fowler - Christening: 23 Nov. 1757 Urquhart And Logie Wester.  She married Colin Simson on 16 Feb. 1779 in Urquhart and Logie Wester, and had a son named John Simson on 1 Sep 1783 in Urquhart And Logie Wester.

James Fowler - Christening: 20 Dec. 1759 Urquhart And Logie Wester.  James his M.A. at King s College, Aberdeen ; M.A. in 1781; licensed by Presb. of Dingwall 12 Sept. 1787; ordained missionary at Fort-Augustus 30th Nov. 1791; minister of Urquhart and Glenmoriston; married Margaret Grant, daughter of Alpin Grant and Agnes Shaw, May 9, 1799; died May 25, 1814; interred at Kilmore Cemetery.  The Grant family managed sugar plantations in British Guiana for some time.

Thomas Fouler - Christening: 7 Dec. 1762 Urquhart And Logie Wester

Christian Foular - Christening: 16 Nov. 1763 Urquhart And Logie Wester

Donald Foular - Christening: 26 Oct. 1765 Urquhart And Logie Wester

Colin Foular - Christening: 10 Nov. 1767 Urquhart And Logie Wester

Margaret Foular - Christening: 4 Jan. 1770 Urquhart And Logie Wester, Ross And Cromarty

William Foular - Christening: 14 Dec. 1771 Urquhart And Logie Wester.

Cathrine Foular - Christening: 29 Jan. 1778 Urquhart And Logie Wester

John Foular - Christening: 4 Oct. 1779 Urquhart And Logie Wester

Your message indicates that Colin Fowler also had a son by the name of Alexander Fowler, who does not show up in the IGI.  I have not been able to make the link between my ggg-grandfather, Charles Fowler, and Colin Fowler, so I have always suspected that some of his children’s births/christenings were not recorded or have not yet been put into the IGI.

The children of my ggg-grandfather, Charles Fowler, and my ggg-grandmother, Sarah Deadman, were as follows (maybe some of them show up in your listing of MI’s):

Catherine Gordon Fowler (born 3 Feb. 1810; christening 17 Feb. 1810; in Elgin)

Samuel Deadman Fowler (born 3 June 1811; christening 22 June 1811; in Elgin).  He moved to Kingston, Ontario where he worked as a customs clerk and died there on 13 Jul 1871.

Colin Fowler (born 25 Jan. 1813; christening 8 Feb. 1813; in Elgin)

Sarah Morgan Fowler (born 7 June 1814; christening 18 June 1814; in Elgin); married William Rae on 8 Feb. 1838 and lived in the Newhills area of Aberdeen.

James Fowler (born 12 Mar. 1816 in Elgin); married Jane Aitken.  His sons owned a sugar refining business in Port Glasgow and later in the Blackwall area of London.

Charles Calder Fowler (born 24 Feb. 1818; christening Mar. 8, 1818; in Elgin)

Alexander Fowler (born Jan. 21, 1820; christening Feb. 9, 1820; in Elgin).  He was my gg-grandfather.  He moved to Ontario around 1850, then to Chicago in 1872, and died 20 March 1889 in Chicago.  He married Sophia Beattie on 24 Jul 1845 in Aberdeen.  She was the daughter of the rector of Tain Academy, Alexander Beattie.

Thomas Hughes Gordon Fowler (born 21 July 1821; christening 9 Aug. 1821; in Elgin).  He married Selina Mary Tillbury.  He managed a sugar plantation in British Guiana and also served as a Justice of the Peace in Essequebo.  He died before 1865.

Fyfe Fowler (born 21 Aug. 1822; christening 27 Sept. 1822; in Elgin).  He moved to Kingston, Ontario about 1854 and was Dean of the Queen’s Medical School, Kingston.

William Brown Fowler (christening 7 June 1826 in Aberdeen)

I’m still trying to make the link between our families.  It seems to me that Colin Fowler’s son, William Fowler, may not be the father of your ggg-grandmother, since I found a William Fowler and Isobel Rose married 30 Mar 1775 in Urquhart and Logie Wester (note:  Colin’s son, William, was born in 1771, so he is far to young to be the husband of this Isobel Rose).  My best guess is that Colin Fowler may have been an uncle to the William Fowler who married Isobel Rose.  I’ll keep digging and keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Lisa

Offline minw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Place Names in the Black Isle
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair,
found your message when browsing. I think your Ann Macdonald is my great great grandmother.
married 5 March 1830 to John Fraser, mason, by Rev. Kennedy , Redcastle.
I found this family after a long search. Their daughter Ann was my great grandmother.
Regards,
Min Walker nee Davidson ex Nairn

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 July 11 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Min,
Sorry about the delay in replying to your post but for some reason I didn't get the usual notification of it. It certainly looks as if there is a connection. The major problem with my Black Isle MacDonald's is that none of them appear on the Birth/Baptisms on the OPR so the only way I can calculate birth dates is from Censuses and SR Death entries. The only reason I found this Ann MacDonald is that my g.g.grandfather's brother Roderick MacDonald, who died a childless widower in 1858 in Rafford, Moray left a Will distributing his possessions among his relatives. One clause in this reads:-
"To my sister Ann Macdonald or Fraser Wife of John Fraser Mason Ferintosh three pairs of Blue Edged Blankets."
This fits the 1830 marriage and the births of children Donald, Alexander, Ann and John Fraser but there are so many Ann Macdonald's born in the area that I cannot be sure. If she was alive in 1858 then there ought to be an SR Death for her so that I can check her parents but so far I haven't found one. Have you?
I have plenty of information on this Ann's siblings which I can PM to you if you are interested.
Regards, Alastair MacDonald
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Mark Fowler

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 July 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I have signed up to RootsChat after finding your exchange on the internet, several years late!

My ancestor was the minister James Fowler who married Margaret Grant. I only have semi-anecdotal knowledge of his predecessors on the Black Isle, so I would be most interested to learn more.

In particular, I believe that this is the first time I have heard that his father and mother were Colin Fowler and Cathrine Gordon.

James Fowler's son, Alpin Grant Fowler, went out to British Guiana, I had assumed because of the Grant connection, but I now see that a number of other Fowlers also settled out there.

Alpin Grant Fowler became a sugar planter and married in British Guiana / Demerera, before moving to Ootacamund, India, where he was a tea and coffee planter. He eventually retired to Marylebone, London.

His son, another Alpin Grant Fowler, was a Civil Engineer, who married in New Zealand, and his son, Tracy, became the manager of the sugar beet factory in Cantley, Norfolk, where my father Jim was brought up.

Lisa's reference to the sons of another related James Fowler, with their sugar refining business at Blackwall, makes me wonder to what extent family history may have influenced Tracy's choice of career.

Tracy had served his apprenticeship at Tate & Lyle, and Tate & Lyle bought (presumably the same) Fowler Ltd sugar refining company of Glasshouse Wharf, Blackwall.

I believe that this was the same Fowler Ltd which produced 'Fowler's West Indian Treacle', which was once a household name, at least in the UK.

If any of you are still in contact on RootsChat.com I would be very interested in learning more about the family, and in particular Colin Fowler's ancestors.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 July 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Welcome to rootschat.

To find out if the posters are still active on rootchat, click on each person's name.  This will take you to their Profile page which includes the date when the poster last visited rootschat.  I see that one of the posters has visited this month.

You will be allowed to send a Private Message (PM) to any rootschat member after you have posted three times on rootschat - this is to prevent spam.   The facility to send a PM is also on the member's Profile Page.

Best Wishes.

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Covingtoncat73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 February 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon from New Orleans. Colin Fowler (Foular) and Catherine Gordon are my 6th great grandparents. Janet Fowler and Colin Simson and my 5th and Eunice (Unne) Simson and Andrew Smith are my 4th. It seems like they have quite a few other descendants in here.

How we got to New Orleans. Unne and Andrew's daughter, Jessie Fowler Smith, married an accountant, James Allan. They had my second great grandmother, Jessie Jr., in Glasgow in 1848. They moved to London and had their second daughter, Johanna Grant Allan. James went to Guyana with a stop in New Orleans in 1853, the wife and girls followed as far as New Orleans in 1856. Jessie Sr. died of Yellow Fever. Jessie Jr. married an Irish painter and stayed. Johanna G. ended up back in Scotland living with her maternal uncle, Colin Smith in Edinburgh.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1EhFeERSXP0aXV5NFQzOXM2T0U?usp=sharing

Offline Covingtoncat73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 February 19 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I have signed up to RootsChat after finding your exchange on the internet, several years late!

My ancestor was the minister James Fowler who married Margaret Grant. I only have semi-anecdotal knowledge of his predecessors on the Black Isle, so I would be most interested to learn more.

In particular, I believe that this is the first time I have heard that his father and mother were Colin Fowler and Cathrine Gordon.

James Fowler's son, Alpin Grant Fowler, went out to British Guiana, I had assumed because of the Grant connection, but I now see that a number of other Fowlers also settled out there.

Alpin Grant Fowler became a sugar planter and married in British Guiana / Demerera, before moving to Ootacamund, India, where he was a tea and coffee planter. He eventually retired to Marylebone, London.

His son, another Alpin Grant Fowler, was a Civil Engineer, who married in New Zealand, and his son, Tracy, became the manager of the sugar beet factory in Cantley, Norfolk, where my father Jim was brought up.

Lisa's reference to the sons of another related James Fowler, with their sugar refining business at Blackwall, makes me wonder to what extent family history may have influenced Tracy's choice of career.

Tracy had served his apprenticeship at Tate & Lyle, and Tate & Lyle bought (presumably the same) Fowler Ltd sugar refining company of Glasshouse Wharf, Blackwall.

I believe that this was the same Fowler Ltd which produced 'Fowler's West Indian Treacle', which was once a household name, at least in the UK.

If any of you are still in contact on RootsChat.com I would be very interested in learning more about the family, and in particular Colin Fowler's ancestors.

Hi, Mark. James' sister, Janet, is a 5th great grandmother of mine. I haven't gotten further than Colin Fowler (Foular) and Catherine Gordon, though. I'm pretty sure the Colin Simson and Donald Fowler mentioned in this NOAS excavation of a whisky distillery are related to us, though (My Janet Fowler married a Colin Simson, maybe the son or grandson of the one mentioned).

http://www.nosas.co.uk/visitmulchaichdistillery.asp

"At Cromarty 28 March 1733 Alexander Mackenzie in Mulchaich in Ferrintosh, Robert Mackenzie there, Donald Fowler there, and Colin Simson in Cromarty (of whom only Robert could sign) ‘signed’ a bill that they would on 15 May pay Mrs Margaret Mackenzie £128 Scots for “value received in sufficient bear (bere)”. The bill was protested for partial non payment on 8 November”.
And another by the same parties “Cromarty 28 March 1733: to pay £170 Scots “value received by you in sufficient bear”

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I too had relatives on Dry Island and may still have up that neck of the woods
John MacKenzie ( McKenzie )  a fisherman who was born in Helmsdale about 1847 he Married Margaret Taylor .Family were John Taylor MacKenzie  ( M ) Dorothy Mackay ..Alexander( M )Elizabeth Robertson they emigrated to Canada with his family I am in touch with them . Then
Mary, James ( M,) Maggie who ??? and Catherine .If anyone has anything to share about this family it would be great
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Dave33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 October 21 11:23 BST (UK) »
I'm late to the party. My gggrandfather James Matheson was born in 1810 at Balnacraich it looks like, to John Matheson and Janet Munro. Having visited years ago, it would have been between Culbokie and the firth, less than a mile from Culbokie. In the same list of births in 1810, there's a Becky (Elizabeth?) Fowler, born at Braes of Findon- very nearby. The poor kid was described as being an adultrous bastard of Andrew Fowler and Becky Kemp
Matheson- Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty
McIntosh- Inverness and Petty in Inverness-shire
Longmuir or Longmoor, Morayshire and Elgin