Author Topic: 1871 Census Lookup please - WALKER  (Read 4154 times)

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Lookup please - WALKER
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 August 14 18:31 BST (UK) »

Hello Monica,

I think you are bang on in your deductions regarding this family, the first marriage was for Largs, Ayrshire, 1855. thats where mother Agnes Crawford, was born, the Margaret Walker, aged 12 years on the 1871 census was most likely born Margaret Crawford, 9/June/1858. Largs, Ayr. to agnes Crawford.

By 1881 the family are living at Orrok House, Belhelvie, Aberdeen.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 August 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonn  :)

It is strange that so many of the children don't show on Family Search in the earlier years post 1855-61...as with the others we have so far, under the surname of Crawford. Thought this might help in confirming the name of the 'Governor'...but no joy there! We will have to be patient and see what 'isk' finds next week  ;)

Monica 
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 August 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
1861 is confusing isn't. You have this already LibHastings. Just adding here for background:

Robert Stewart Walker 41, Flesher Employing 3 Men & a Boy b. Greenock
Mary Walker 17 daughter b. Greenock
Elizabeth Walker 16 daughter b. Greenock
Robert Walker 6 son b. Greenock
Gorenna Walker 4 son b. Greenock
William Walker 2 Months son b. Greenock...who we have as born in Jan 1861 as Crawford
Agnes Crawford 27, visitor, seamstress, b. Seamstress
D M Millan 28 newphew
Isabella Mcmillan 27 neice
Jessie Mcmillan 10 Months niece

Address: N 20 St John Street, Greenock

Married before. Maybe wife still alive and 1855 marriage dissolved? Certainly an issue with that 1855 marriage. Likely Agnes shows as unmarried in 1861 (a guess, with what we have).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LibHastings

• RootsChat Member
  • NSW - Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica and John. Thank you both for your input.
It appears Agnes & Robert married in 1855, and had sons Robert age 6 & Gorenna(?) age 4 and William aged 2 months in 1861 Census. I don't think the 1869 is related.
Although, looking at the 1861 Census it would appear that Robert had been married previously with older daughters Mary 17 and Elizabeth 16. (Something more to check on).

I also found the births for Marion, Ella and Louisa on LDS. Yes, very strange that the earlier ones aren't there.
I had also found Robert's death at Orrock place. What a grand place!
Hopefully, isk will come through for us.
Thanks again for your input.

Libby
ENGLAND
Essex - ALGAR, KETLEY
Durham - ASHMORE, TODD,  WALKER
Kent - CHEESEMAN
Worc/Staff - BRADLEY
also WILBY

SCOTLAND
Perth, Renfrew, Stirling - BRAND
also GRAY, MICKLEJOHN,  CRAWFORD, CHRISTIE

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hello LibHastings
Well Robert Stewart Walker was quite a guy!. He fathered 11 children to 2 possibly 3 different women and the only legitimate one is Louise born in on 28th February, 1872.  All the children from Robert Stewart Crawford Jnr. born in 1854 to Ella born in 1869 were born to Agnes Crawford and were made legitimate  by the subsequent marriage of Robert Stewart Walker & Agnes Crawford in 1869.  Of the two older girls who appear on the 1861 census Mary and Elizabeth it would appear from a notice in the Greenock Advertiser that Mary married a David Douglas in Bromley in Kent in July 1870 and Elizabeth is the daughter of Mary Stevenson and Robert Stewart Walker and died in Greenock, in 1865 aged 18. The name of the son born in 1857 is Governor.  It does not appear on his Birth Certificate but I found his Death Certificate at Orrok House Belhelvie, Aberdeenshire in 1878.
Sorry if this all seems a bit confused but it has been a long day in front of a computer screen.  I have all the information from the Birth Certificates etc.  which I will be happy to send to you but probably best by PM.  Let me know. Hope this helps
isk

Offline LibHastings

• RootsChat Member
  • NSW - Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 August 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi isk,

Thank you very much for your time and searching. Yes, please PM me what info you have.

It is still a bit confusing as FamilySearch records the marriage between Robert Stewart Walker & Agnes Crawford in 1855 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT2D-3MS along with the births  in 1869-1872 for Marion, Ella & Louise. If they were married in 1855, why would they have married again in 1869?

So he was called Governor. Who would have thought? Maybe his father Robert had hoped big plans for him.

Thanks again isk. I look forward to your PM.

Cheers

Libby
ENGLAND
Essex - ALGAR, KETLEY
Durham - ASHMORE, TODD,  WALKER
Kent - CHEESEMAN
Worc/Staff - BRADLEY
also WILBY

SCOTLAND
Perth, Renfrew, Stirling - BRAND
also GRAY, MICKLEJOHN,  CRAWFORD, CHRISTIE