Author Topic: McCann's of "Eastmeath"  (Read 10186 times)

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCann's of "Eastmeath"
« on: Sunday 10 December 06 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Need help locating origins / ancestors of John McCann born 1828 in "Eastmeath"(Meath) -- if traditional Irish naming patterns were used his parents would be Matthew and Margaret McCann -- he may also have had a younger sister Margaret born ~1832 -- they(John & Margaret) immigrated to USA ~1847-1848 -- assume that parents (Matthew & Margaret?) and other siblings (if any) remained in Ireland. It was not unusual for our McCann's to have 10 or more children so I am hoping to find relatives in Ireland who can fill in the blanks in our family history. Be great if anyone can help or share ideas -- I hope to get to Ireland in the near future and would love to have some promising leads before hand. Thanks -- Patrick M. McCann, USA 

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McCann's of Meath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 13:36 GMT (UK) »
  Searching for ties to John McCann of "Eastmeath" born 1828 -- sailed to USA ~1847 with Margaret (younger sister?) -- unable to find on passenger ship logs -- parents names may be Matthew & Margaret McCann based on traditional Irish naming patterns -- believed to have ties to Gibney's since sister Margaret married Thomas Gibney in USA 1852. Would love to hear from McCann's in Meath or anyone who may shed some light on my long lost ancestors.
                                                       Thanks -- Patrick M. McCann, USA

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McCann's of Meath
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Patrick,

A thread on this board about Eastmeath may assist you as it gives locations in the area.

Chris.

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
     Still unable to connect my John McCann or Thomas Gibney to "East Meath" -- John was born 1828 and arrived in New York ~1847 or 1848 -- any suggestions ?
   Thank You,
                Patrick M. McCann, USA

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McCann's of Meath to USA 1847
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 May 09 03:51 BST (UK) »
Still searching for ties to McCann's believed to be from Eastern Meath and immigrated to USA in 1847  -- anyone know of McCann's who date back to Meath as far back as 1828 ??
  Thanks

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McCann's to USA 1847
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
Searching for McCann's who may have ancestors from Meath / Eastmeath that arrived in USA (New York) on May 17, 1847 -- I recently found a ship record that could be him with several other McCann's -- the copy is hard to read -- someone transcribed the last name as McCane but the so called "e" at end of name is unclear -- looks more like an ink smudge -- has anyone else been unable to find their McCann's with this date of arrival ??  Thanks for any input --- Patrick M. McCann

Offline Sevilled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 August 10 00:30 BST (UK) »
There is a big Mc Cann family presence in the Ratoath area of Co Meath.

There are 5 or 6 families all living in a townland called Lagore, Ratoath if that is any help to you
Seville,  Duggan, Wogan,Black, Whelan, O Toole, Shepherd, Doyle. Ryan

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 December 10 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Sevilled -- thanks for the McCann tip -- I've been spinning wheels for a long time -- some day I have to get to Ireland -- wish I had more than "EastMeath" to go on !!
  Thanks again,
                  Patrick M. McCann in USA

Offline IrishLoft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McCann / Gibney in Meath
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
Still searching for ties to John McCann born 1828, his sister Margaret born ~1830, and Thomas Gibney born ~1825  -- they list their place of origin as "EastMeath" -- John & Margaret McCann arrived in NY in the spring of 1847 -- possibly with siblings James 28yo, Sally & Betty 21yo, and "G." McCann 18yo -- does this connect with anyone out there ???
     Thanks,
              Pat