Author Topic: Metyar Reynolds  (Read 2202 times)

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Metyar Reynolds
« on: Wednesday 13 August 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Leonora Reynolds married T. Allen, Scottow 22.05.1794 is my ancestor. I am unable to find a baptism. BUT she uses Reynolds as a middle name for all her children and the second child 1797 is Metyer Reynolds Allen. I hope this is clue to her ancestry. Metyer is an extremely rare name. A family at Salhouse and Woodbastwick appears to die out and no links found to the Reynolds name. A family of Reynolds at Hethersett name sons Metyer Reynolds in two generations. One survives to adulthood as grocer in St Benedicts Norwich. No children. A Jane Reynolds possibly born to this family in Hethersett names a son Metyer Reynolds Martin in 1801 at Spexhall Suffolk, (compare Leonora above. Are they sisters?) The widow of this Metyer Reynolds Martin dies in Trowse in 1869 suggesting links with the Norwich area. The rector of Gisleham Suffolk, near Spexhall, between 1758 and 97 is one Metyer Reynolds. He started his career as curate of Hethersett in 1737. He married Honour Cooke at Forncett 1762. Her will shows no indication of children. I have not found any reference to Rector Metyer Reynolds earlier than his matriculation at Emanuel Cambs 1733.
Any suggestions how I might trace Leonora gratefully received. Her status as annuitant in 1841 suggests connections superior to the rest of her family who were scratching a living and falling foul of the law. I have had some assistance from good folk in Suffolk with this topic.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Metyar Reynolds
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Familysearch? Scroll down the page for Norfolk records:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1986340

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Id be looking for Reynolds wills too, if Leonora had independent means.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 13:47 BST (UK) »
You say Leonora married "T. Allen" in 1794.

Is his first name Thomas? Do you know what his occupation was?

Can you give details (ref nos) for Leonora in the 1841 census as I am having trouble finding her.  :-\

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies. Indeed I have visited the NRO and read the wills of Metyar Reynolds grocer and of the Metyar family of Salhouse. I have used Family Search to go through parish registers page by page and in the case of Gisleham done the same at the NRO as it is in Norwich diocese.
In my own family missing baptism records are I believe the consequence of unrecorded bapisms by itinerant primitive methodist preachers but I don't believe this is likely to apply to the Reynolds with Metyar Reynolds having a career in the C of E. It seems possible he was from a clerical family as he was admitted as sizar at Emanuel where he played the organ as his service to the college.

Yes Leonora married Thomas Allen at Scottow. As you might expect, the first child was named Thomas Reynolds Allen but the second Metyer Reynolds Allen...and then several girls. No, I wish I did have a clue as to his occupation. Of course it is possible Metyer was a link to the Allen family but I haven't found one. It does strike me as curious that in both Leonora and Jane's case it is the wife who is calling the shots over naming the children. Either they had an overwhelming reason or very strong personalities....or both.

In 1841 Leonora Allen is annuitant at the Norfolk Arms aged "65". Incidentally her son Metyer Reynolds Allen was transport to Tas. for theft of an ass, immediately after being released after a two year stint for larceny. 

Offline Alwina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
A meta Reynolds is mentioned in the Manorial rolls for N.Walsham in 1758
Kemp. Bloom. Reynolds. Saul. Norfolk
Cathie Durham.Ireland.London
Walker. London
Cutts. Rawlinson. Suffolk
Langmead. London Dorset. Cornwall

census information Crown Copyright.
from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
I thought we had established Leonora's origins in this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=694826.18
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip about NW Manor Rolls. This is v likely to be the revd. Metyer Reynolds. Documents at NRO show he owned property in NW:   "Deeds of messuage called the Dolphin, copyhold of the manor of North Walsham, with barn and other houses under one roof, late destroyed by fire and since in part rebuilt, to which Bozoon Brigg was admitted as nephew of Mary Brigg 1762 who then surrendered to Metyer Reynolds clerk."
Metyer Reynolds was probably baptised John Reynolds, Hethersett 1712. At some date prior to his admission to Emanuel College in 1733 he adopted the name Metyer. The Metyer family name died out in Norfolk in 1725 with the death of Edward who was survived by a Metyer Aunt, married Appleton, and his widow. At a guess, one of these sponsored John Reynolds on condition he changed his name as an attempt to continue the family name by proxy. Although Metyer Reynolds married he had no children although a nephew and three great nephews all had Metyer as a first name.