Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27114 times)

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« on: Friday 17 September 04 20:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for any descendants of walter Amos Turnbull and  Janet Kerr amos.
I know they had at least one daughter Margaret, and walter was a joiner.
amos,scott, armstrong, hume.

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi lesley

A long time since you posted, tell me have you any conections with Rutherford's of Bonchester Bridge?

I ask because Rutherford's where Joiners and Blacksmiths in the same small village

Andrew
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 May 06 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew,
No I am not connected to Rutherfords. The turnbull family I was looking for died out. Walter turnbull was married to Janet Kerr Amos and as far as I'm aware they only had one child Margaret who died during childbirth 1915 as did the child. In actual fact Walter was a joiner in Hobkirk all the same place today but I suppose it could have been different in days gone by. He was still there in 1901.
Have you read the book rule water and it's people ?
I think there are Rutherfords in it.

Happy hunting Lesley
amos,scott, armstrong, hume.

Offline katie mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi - reasonably sure about the Amos connection if this is of any use to you.  The Amos family who lived at the Forkins left a number of years ago but had been in the Parish of Hobkirk for generations.  They now live around the Hawick area.
BELL - OXNAM, JEDBURGH
HEPBURN - AVONDALE, LANARK
MCALLAN - ANYWHERE

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 06 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley
How much earlier have gone with your Turnbulls?
One of the children of Walter (Handless Wat) Wilson,  Elizabeth(Betty) Wilson born 16/04/1753, married a George Turnbull.
They had 10 children 4 boys and 6 girls.
Handless Wat was a bit of a Hawick personality.
This is info I have picked up from another researcher and is incidental to my own researches into the Wilson family.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 July 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi StintonLomas and others,

Walter Wilson 1712 -  1995 AKA "Haunless Wat" or "Handless Wat" of Hawick is my G G G G G Grandfather, not just at a guess but through evidence from birth records, marriage records, death records, wills etc etc.

@StintonLomas, I very much liked the comment that he was quite a character or personality in his day.

I also believe that in the Pioneers and Workers Room at the Borders Textile TowerHouse in Hawick, there is a foldable yard stick, or measuring stick on display there, with the inscription "Walter Wilson 1734". His son's did quite well for themselves also and I am now fairly up to speed with them, but I would love to see any further information on "Handless Wat", funny or factual.

I would also like to know more on his parents whom I believe to be John Wilson circa 1685 and Margaret Crow of Branxholme a few miles south west of Hawick.

If you can help in any way, it would be most appreciated. My father who is 80 and some other elderly relatives are enjoying all the history I am digging up for them, and my father (not in good health himself) has been knocked for a 6 after the death of my older brother last week, so I fear he has not long to go. So it would be nice to get as much info as possible for him before he passes to the other side ;-)

Thanks in advance

Brett Wilson

Happy to provide contact details if I am able to do so in this forum or by private message!

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 July 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
Brettmaximus........here is a heads up on some fine info regarding,"Haunless Wat",Walter Wilson.
Google..."A Hawick Word" by Douglas Scott...then scroll down to Wulson.
  Enjoy the info there.....Cheers
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 July 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
Most appreciated, and yes I have already done so before. As well as finding some information in "Hawick and it's People 1938" though I believe more information is available in the 1921 version, but I have not yet got my hands on that.

It's been incredible to get this far, and Walter Wilson 1798-1862 my GGG Grandfather was the hardest connection to place (Haunless Wat's Grandson), he was a cabinet maker at 9 High Street, Hawick. I have nick named him the baby maker rather than the cabinet maker, as he has had at least 3 children with 3 different women that I can find so far. The 1st was my GG Grandfather Wlater Wilson who emigrated to Australia, the Second was a Jessie/Janet Wilson when he was married to a Jessie/Janet Gray, the 3rd was around 1840 another male child who emigrated to New Zealand. And Walter Wilson 1798-1862 was to marry another lady later on who was some 24 years younger than him, a lady by the name of Isabella.

It is mentioned in the records that he was quite well off and able to indulge in may angling expeditions, but I think he was up to a little more than fishing if you get my drift ;-) Walter Wilson 1798-1862 was also the 1820 Cornet for the Common Riding in Hawick, which I may have mentioned earlier.

Regardless of this, I believe his father "Walter Wilson 1770 - 1847" was a Hawick Councillor and a Portrait of him is available in the Hawick Museum.

I found a portrait of a Walter Wilson that was painted in 1755, which may be Haunless Wat? I will try to attach it? And if you look at how it is painted, only one arm is showing and it looks like it face the wrong way? I may be jumping to conclusions here, but it is in deed possible.

I have run into a bit of a brick wall with John Wilson and Margaret Crow who were Haunless Wat's (Walter Wilson 1712 - 1795)'s parents. Other than the fact that John Wilson was a  farmer from Branxholme near Hawick, and I guess it would be nice to get to this next generation and see where that leeds.

Haunless Wat was of course the father of the wealthy industrialist "William Wilson 1762-1834" and he was also the grandfather of the Right Honorable "James Wilson 1805-1860" Manufacturer, Member of Parliament and the founder of "The Economist".

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I love the Hawick Word Book, it's a fantastic guide and reference, and without it, I would not have got this far.

Thanks Again

Brett Wilson

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 July 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
Lesley 084 Here is their headstone in Hobkirk Cemetery. It doesnt show their descendants but if you know them let me know and i will search for them in the above cemetery which is at Bonchester `bridge,
alan
"121   In m e m o r y o f  J A N N E T  K .  A M O S  w i fe o f  W A L T E R  A ."
"TU R N B U L L  wh o  d i e d  a t  B o n c h e s t e r  B r i d g e  1 9 th  June  1896  aged "
"54y r s  and  t he  abov e   W A LT E R   A MO S  TU R N B U L L  w h o  d i e d  9 th "
"No v e m b e r 1 9 1 6 a g e d 6 6 y r s ."
" "
"87 "
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders