Author Topic: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries  (Read 27494 times)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
MIs for Hawick Cemeteries
« on: Wednesday 22 June 05 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the MIs for any/all of the cemeteries in Hawick have been published and where I can access/buy them?

Many thanks,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MIs for Hawick Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 05 14:53 BST (UK) »
Clare...It is really hard to find M.I......just ask me..I know.To the best of my knowledge there are 3 old cemeteries in Hawick.
St Mary's.....(I have)
Wellogate)....I have )
Wilton...........(been trying for over 20 years to get)
I stand to be corrected if there are more.
I am sure each and every parish has there own graveyard as well,so if our kin died in a town away from place of birth..well that is the next place to look.
What names are you looking for?
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 July 05 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for lots of names  :-[, which is why I was hoping to be able to buy them from somewhere.  I have the booklet for Liddesdale, where most of my Borders ancestors were from, but they ultimately moved to Hawick.

I would be most interested in any entries for Hume (especially with first name Walter - I am looking for 3 generations of those) and Hay - especially James Hay (born ca 1817 in Hawick) and his wife Margaret Best.  Both of these families married into my Elliot line, but are proving problematic!

Many thanks,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 July 05 17:06 BST (UK) »
OK...as soon as I get back I will look for HAY and BEST in both the M I's.. that I have for HAWICK.
Several hours anyway.
I have just gotten my hands on M.I.for WILTON ROX...yahoo..this has been over 20 years  waiting for this one.
It is in the mail from the USA and I do not expect it for a few weeks yet..
Wilton was across the river from Hawick
If you put together a list of couples..EX: James Hay and Margaret Best. on your other surnames..I will see what I can do to help.
MY names that I an doing right now are WALDIE, HUGGAN ,TINLINE, KERSEL and all the rest you see on my profile.
I 'll get back to you soon
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 05 01:52 BST (UK) »
Clare...I found no "BEST" in either the Wellogate or St Mary's cemetery..sorry.
BUT....I did find a few HAY's at St.Mary's Churchyard in Hawick.
ROBERT HAY
born c 1781
died Jan 15 1832
his wife
ANN LITTLE
born c1797
died Jan 26 1848

their son THOMAS HAY
born c 128
died Oct 10 1851
---------------------------
JAMES HAY
born c 1780
died Dec 9 1844
his wife JANET HUME
born c 1783
died April 30  1855

*NOTE...have attempted to change color for the year 1855...if you believe that this is yours...you should get the death cert,as it was the 1st year of civil registration and is loaded with info.
I hope that some of this helps.!!

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 05 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks for this.  they look a little early to be who I am looking for - but they could well be the generation before, so I will do a bit more digging.

Many thanks again for looking for me  :)

Cheers,
Clare
And many, many more...

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 July 05 09:14 BST (UK) »
hi
wonder if you would mind having a look for DOUGLAS for me they were born in Hawick
the earliest I have is Robert Douglas b 1801 and his wife Mary Scott b 1811 Robert and Mary moved over to Dumfries so I don't suppose they are likely to be there spent all day yesterday with this lot getting no where which seems to be the norm for me at the moment with all my names

thanks
audrey

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
Audrey ...no death that I could find for your Robert Douglas and Mary Scott....sorry.
......BUT if the moved to another parish or county..you might check there for deaths.
Go the census route first 1841,through to ,1891...then start looking for a death and burial.
Civil registration began in 1855...wonderful year,so much info on a cert.
If you can find where he stayed put for a while,you could read a LDS film for that area and its time frame.
IGI...well it is a great guide line..I only use extracted info...all submitted info I double check.
GRO...there is lots of births deaths and marr NOT in the GRO.
I know,as I have read a LOT of films to find what I want.
Always use as many avenues as possible to chase the kin from place to place.
Keep looking and good luck.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 July 05 16:31 BST (UK) »
"I would be most interested in any entries for Hume (especially with first name Walter - I am looking for 3 generations of those)"

CLARE......

I went through the M.I.for 2 cemeteriesand only ref. to HUME was as follows:
THOMAS ELLIOT born c1804 died Dec 21 1889
his wife
MARGARET HUME born c1806 died Jan 9 1864
Buried in Wellogate Cemetery,Hawick,Rox.