Author Topic: Buckinghamshire Lunatic Asylum  (Read 25606 times)

Offline Jolie08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buckinghamshire Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 22:37 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was an "attendant on the insane" at the Buckinghamshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum in Stone, Buckinghamshire.  How can I find out details of the hospital and details of the staff employed there?
My husband has an ancestor who was a nurse at the Stone Asylum. I have a photo of the male nurses which I obtained from the Stone Society. There are photographs of the road the asylum is in on the Buckinghamshire Record Office site. The hospital was knocked down and it is now houses.

Offline Jolie08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi I worked as a nursing assistant at St. John's hospital from 1979 to 1985 I made many friends and am still in touch with some. I now live on the housing site they built after they demolished StJohn's hospital.i believe my house is near where Lacey and dunsmore ward was as I have a sleeper in my back garden I am sure I used to perch on that when taking a break.I have some knowledge of history there.

Offline minxy123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 August 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking into some history on my granmother Olive Brown who was a patient at St Johns Hospital Stone between 1979-1980.I am wondering how I can access her medical records to find out what she was suffering from and how she was treated?

Many Thanks!

Maya

Offline shadowacf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi my mum nan and grandfather all worked at st johns my grandfather is Bill Allen mum is Shirra Milton i have vague memories walking around the site with my grandfather i remember the switchboard and Italian tony from the kitchens