Author Topic: Death,burial in Kelso.  (Read 9038 times)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Death,burial in Kelso.
« on: Friday 16 April 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Have info so far as follows:
Margaret Taylor Gow born about 1880 in Glasgow.Father William Cochran Gow,mother Jessie Colquhoun.She married James McIntyre Ure 4 June 1902.Died or is buried in Kelso.
This lady had a rather checkered life and could have death registered as her maiden name or as Ure.
She died reportedly as a very old lady of near 100 but how true this is I do not know.So death could be 1980 or either side.
Has anyone the time to search the burial records for me please. This is very vague as I don't even know the cemetery.
If it can be found I would be very grateful.
Josie.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death,burial in Kelso.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 10 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie,

Margaret was born November 25th 1879 at 4 Ranfurly Place, Paisley Road, Govan, but was registered in both Largs and Govan. Her father was a seaman in the Merchant Service and usually stayed at the Old Bank House, Largs. Her parents married February 25th 1873 in Anderston district, Glasgow.

Death for a Margaret Taylor URE (other name GOW) in Kelso, registered 1978 aged 98.

hume :)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 10 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that. As ever,chatters never fail.
Do appreciate your help as Scottish records are very difficult to access for us Sassenachs.
Should you ever come across anything else for this family I would be grateful.Can I clarify something? Old Bank House,Largs.Was that where she lived or where only her father was?
Margaret deserted her husband and children some time in the 1920-30,s and went as a housekeeper to someone,according to the family tales.Children were all in a home. Don,t know if this is true but you have helped me start on the journey so thankyou.
Guess I now need to look for records of childrens homes.
By the way, any record of death/burial of James McIntyre Ure please.No details known.
Once again,regards,
Josie.
Brown.Allen.Cobb.Bradshaw.Platts.Shaw.Hawcroft.Rollinson.Bowering.Rawlinson.Crayton.Boardman.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
hi Josie  :)

don't know how old james mcintyre ure was when he married but i've found
on the IGI -
james mathie mcintyre ure born 28th april 1869 milton glasgow lanark
parents james mathie ure and margaret mcintyre

maybe a bit too old  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 April 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie and ev,

I think the Largs address is possibly where her father usually resided for work purposes but she was born back in Glasgow.

James, according to his marriage certificate, was born around 1878. Let me know if you haven't got those details, Josie, and I'll pass them on.

I have found his death (with no middle name shown) in Glasgow on the June 26th 1935, aged 57. :( Just listed as "Married to Margaret Gow"; however, this would still be appropriate. I can pass on full details on this as well.

hume :)

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 April 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks both of you.
 James was born 2 Dec 1877 Glasgow.
If you can pass on any details this would act as confirmation for me. Or if you know where he is buried.I believe that he died in Western Infirmary,Glasgow but it is only now that the pieces seem to be coming together at long last.Am very grateful for your help.
Regards,
Josie.

Offline souter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 June 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Only one Gow grave in Kelso Rosebank cemetary , but no Margaret. No graves with the name Ure. She may well have died in Kelso but perhaps cremated and the remains taken elsewhere. Nearest crematoria are in Edinburgh. Perhaps one there may have a record or even an interment.

Offline josephinemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 08:30 BST (UK) »
This has got me thinking. My Aunt,still alive,assures me that she has visited the grave in Kelso cemetery and she still has her faculties so will have to speak to her again. Thanks to all of you.
Josie.

Offline souter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
josie
Re my response on Kelso graves. My apologies as I inadvertantly have misled you. The grave listing I was given apparently referred only to an older graveyard in the town and NOT to Rosebank. So please disregard what I said; if I get the correctly labelled list I will send a correction. I hope this error did not send you off in a wrong directon. Apologies again!!
souter