Author Topic: Commercial Hotel, Hawick  (Read 16050 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Commercial Hotel, Hawick
« on: Friday 29 June 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Revisiting Hawick recently after many years, we looked for a hotel we'd stayed at then, when we were young and foolish.
     We looked for it largely because we couldn't believe it could still be in business. It was a strange experience! We were looking for "The Commercial Hotel", and couldn't find it.
    I thought it may be where Sainsburys' Supermarket bloomed, my other half thought it was a building a little way away, in the throes of redevelopment.
Does anyone recall just where it is/was, please? I've also hunted round on "GoogleEarth" trying to spot the location.
      Idle curiosity, I suppose, but I'm sure you know how it is when something just lodges in your mind - I want to know, now, and it will annoy me until I find out for sure.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial Hotel, Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
Can you put a timeframe for when you stayed there? Might help jog people's memories better with an idea of years!
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 June 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Know it was somewhere between late 1970s and mid 1980s we were there - as I said, we were young and foolish then, and zoomed all over the place.
      It was a bit of a timewarp, even then. We just felt it couldn't have survived as it was then, so went to see if we could find it, as we were passing through a bit ago.
      When we couldn't agree where it was (see original post) I got a bit obsessive, trying to find if it was where Sainsburys is. I really do want to know- even if I'm wrong!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 June 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
Nothing wrong with being wrong (for us obsessive types, it is just getting to the info that matters  ;)).

Hope someone can help. You might need to access a business directory for the period. Nothing really showing on general searches as you have found.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Worth phoning the Tourist Information Centre or the Library - you might well get an answer instantly!

Alternatively try looking in the old Phone Books on Ancestry....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 June 12 21:14 BST (UK) »
Are you sue about the name of the hotel, commercial road only had a B&B at the end the Station Hotel around the corner at the north bridge, in the high street there used to be the tower and crown and elm house is still on bridge street.  I ask my mum and she doesn't remember a commercial hotel.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 June 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
It was a hotel, rather than a B & B, and we really think / thought it was the Commercial Hotel - I seem to recall it being fairly near a bridge, though, too. Very solid, greyish and square and symmetrical. Can't find a receipt to check after all these years - so far back that one of us probably paid by cheque, but I can't see us keeping cheque books quite that far back!
     I'll try other sources, thanks for the ideas. (Knew someone here would come up with something) Thanks to you all.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 June 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
could it be the Ewe & Lamb at the Sandhill nr the Albert Bridge at the bottom of Commercial rd - its an Inn (pub with rooms).

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 July 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
I think that's the building where Sergio's is, it used to be a hotel, I'm meeting with some old guys today, I'll ask them if they can remember. But there was a Commercial Hotel in Hawick.

Stewart
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton