Author Topic: Frederick Charles Pickett  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Cliveden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Charles Pickett
« on: Monday 16 June 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some help tracing this ancestor whom I have having tremendous difficulty tracing.

We was born in the Bristol area approx. 1880 - but no birth records have been found in 1908 married Emily Louise Judd (also recorded as Louise Emily or just Lou) in 1908 St Geo Hanover Square. Their first daughter Mona was born in 1908 prior to their marriage.

Frederick was a full time solder with the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) and served in WW1, dying in 1915 having been brought back to Hounslow Middlesex.

I understand he, his wife and children were based in Scotland, at the barracks in Edinburgh Castle sometime before WW1 but I have not been able to locate any information. I have been told that they had two further daughters Hilda and Elsie.

Any assistance appreciated.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Charles Pickett
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Cliveden ,

Does the information before WW1 come from the 1911 Scottish Census ?

There is a Frederick Charl(as much as can be entered in the search box)Pickett age 30 in Midlothian ,
second person showing as Louise.(searching the free index)
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

For reference -
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/389406/PICKETT,%20FREDERICK%20CHARLES

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 June 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
Re the 6 Jan death, there is a record on FindMyPast's military records. However, from the London Gazette

30 March 1915
The undermentioned .... to be Second Lieutenants in the field
Infantry
The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) Company Quartermaster - Serjeant Frederick Charles Pickett. Dated 10 March 1915

10 December 1915
The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)
Second Lieutenant Frederick C Pickett is placed temporarily on the Half-pay list on account of ill health. Dated 11 December

FreeReg has the death registration of a Frederick C Pickett, age 35, Brentford, 3a 89, Mar Qtr 1916

Offline Cliveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 June 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks, ev and hanes teulu.

I believe the CWG record is correct which gives his death as January 1915 and rank as second lieutenant.t I have also confirmed his medals were reissued to his widow - but she was living in Hounslow not brentwood - so the death registration in 1916 is a mystery. I have not found any 1911 census record for him but am not registered with the scotlandspeople site. Does the record you mention make reference to any children?

Thanks again

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 June 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
If you register with SP you will find a Hilda Pickett aged 1 with a second person Frederick Charl* in Midlothian in the 1911 Census.

This is just from searching the free index.

Also showing in Midlothian with Frederick Charl* is Louise Pickett aged 28

I think this is the family you're after.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 June 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
The National Archives have a record for a Frederick Charles Pickett, Royal Scots, (Lothian Regiment) - reference WO 339/26827. The details cannot be downloaded on line. Have you checked this site?. Not that this may lead to unearthing "your" Frederick's birth details.

Have you obtained Frederick & Louisa's marriage Cert (Sep Qtr 1908 - St Geo. H Sq) - which might (no guarantee) provide father's name/occupation.

It's Brentford - not "Brentwood". Hounslow Reg district was eventually formed out of Old & New Brentford (+ others)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
I believe the CWG record is correct which gives his death as January 1915 ..... so the death registration in 1916 is a mystery.

If there is a disparity the death registration is more likely to be correct, because it was created at the time of death, while the CWGC record was later.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cliveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
thank you everyone for your help.

I've checked out the Scotspeople site and yes, 1911 Census records Fred Chas Pickett, his wife Louise Emile, Mona Alice (as niece - but she was their daughter) and Hilda Muriel - daughter. Also located birth record for Elsie May Pickett - Edinburgh in 1913 giving the mother's maiden name as JUDD so I believe that's resolved in part my research. Just need to locate Hilda's birth.

The trouble I have has is that every member of the JUDD family never seem to use the first names so this has been great thanks again.

Offline David Handley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 September 14 20:37 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some help tracing this ancestor whom I have having tremendous difficulty tracing.

We was born in the Bristol area approx. 1880 - but no birth records have been found in 1908 married Emily Louise Judd (also recorded as Louise Emily or just Lou) in 1908 St Geo Hanover Square. Their first daughter Mona was born in 1908 prior to their marriage.

Frederick was a full time solder with the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) and served in WW1, dying in 1915 having been brought back to Hounslow Middlesex.

I understand he, his wife and children were based in Scotland, at the barracks in Edinburgh Castle sometime before WW1 but I have not been able to locate any information. I have been told that they had two further daughters Hilda and Elsie.

Any assistance appreciated.