Author Topic: Lost relative  (Read 6732 times)

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost relative
« on: Sunday 11 August 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am trying to find out what happened to a relative but am hitting walls. Maybe it is too recent. Her name was G W born around 1920-s in Cambridgeshire. I know she left home at age 13 and that she married an american during the war. I am assuming she has probably passed away as she would be age removed years old if not. Is anyone able to help me find her married name, or where she lived when she left home. Hopefully with this information I will be able to see if there are any relatives that I dont yet know of.

Thanks,
Shosh

post edited by Moderator Living person

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost relative
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 August 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
Using www.freebmd.org.uk I can see no G W born around the right time in Cambs. Nor can I see a marriage in Cambs. In fact in the war years there are a few marriages of G E W but none are in Cambs. If you know her father my only suggestion is that you buy them one at a time to see if the father matches - this can be done online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Do you have her parents' details?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Shoshannah

WW11 relocated thousands  of people, men & women, and 13 was very young to have left home  around 1932,  unless she went into service or to live with another relative. At that also means about 7 years before the war began, where she could have been living anywhere

If you go on the freebmd site and put in "G W, search all districts and counties and years  from 1939 to end of 1945 for marriages " you will find that about 25 entries come up.
Only 3 of them have the middle initial of "E",  so one of them could be your G. None of the marriages were in Cambs.

But she could also have not given her middle name to the Registrar, so be one of the plain Gladys Winter.

She may have also moved to the USA at the end of the war as a War Bride.

It may be that you have to buy at least one of the Gladys E marriage certs and hope that your first choice is the correct one.
 I do have 2 family members who married servicemen in England , one in  in the Great War ( from Canada) and one  in WW11 from the USA, and both show details of where the men were billeted, father's names etc.

Hope this helps, and sorry to be a bit negative, unfortunately the English 1921 census isn't available yet to try and find her whereabouts on that

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
Nothing that matches in the Cambs baptism index.

Selina

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 August 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry, I've just found her birth index note. She is G E (Relatives have told me it is Elizabeth) born to Lily Parnell in 1920's in Medway, Surrey. Fathers name is Edward Samuel.

Thanks, sorry to confuse things
Shosh

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
Medway is the name of the registration district where the birth was registered, which includes such parishes as Chatham and Gillingham. There's no parish called Medway.

Edward Winter married Lily Parnell in Marylebone registration district in the Sep quarter 1917
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

So is my only option to obtain marriage certificates one by one until I find a matching one?

Shosh

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
She may have had a brother b. 1922, Linton, Cambridgeshire - Frederick E W.

Most war brides married late in 1944 or in 1945 and the only marriage of that period was to John T Williamson in West Yorkshire. I do not have access to shipping arrivals in the USA but if you do it might be worthwhile looking for her under that name and middle initial.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shoshannah

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstable,

Yes there were 5 sisters and 3 brothers, but the family was broken up in 1935 after their mothers death. I only know very little about them all after this point.

Shosh