Author Topic: Where's Thomas in 1871?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where's Thomas in 1871?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 June 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
Wrong occupation, wrong age, wrong part of the country. Not even convinced about the initials. Not a lot going for it!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 June 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. Yeah, it's a bit dubious, isn't it. :-\

The army or apprenticeship seems most likely.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 July 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
I've still not managed a convincing sighting of Thomas Foster (1849-1931) in the 1871 census.

But it turns out that Thomas' father---also Thomas Foster (c.1822-1896?)---has got his own interesting and slightly puzzling census 'career':

---

Born c.1822 in Walsoken, Norfolk (according to censuses. Not found a baptism record/transcription yet). Father is Thomas Foster, farmer (according to marriage record).

1841 census - there are too many undifferentiated Thomas Fosters of about the right age in Norfolk/Cambs. I haven't been able to narrow down the field.

Married Susannah Batterham GREEVES, 6 May 1847 in Tydd St Giles, Cambs (the bride's home parish).

1851 census: with wife Susannah and son Thomas, plus a Greeves relative and two servants, in Elm, Wisbech, Cambs. Thomas' occupation: farmer of 205 acres employing 4 labourers.

1861 census: this is where it starts to gets odd. Susannah B. is at home in Friday Bridge, Wisbech with a growing family. Her occupation: "fund holder"[?]... Thomas sr. isn't with them, but Susannah is listed as "mar", not widowed. The best fit for Thomas sr. in terms of age and birthplace on the '61 census is one Thomas Foster, a single(!!!) railway guard, b. Walsoken, Norfolk c.1821, boarding at Rutland House, Swansea, Glamorgan (RG9/4101/34/7). Is this him? Had he got a job on the railways and was travelling away from home - or had he even gone AWOL from his family for a while? Or am I getting carried away with one of the several similar Thomas Fosters that seem to be around the place (in which case, where is my Thomas in 1861?)? If I could find any railway employment record for Swansea Thomas Foster it might clear things up, but that will have to wait until I can get to the public library to search Ancestry.

1871 census: oh look, he's back with Susannah and yet more children, at 42 Albert Street, Wisbech. Occ: unemployed labourer. [What happened to the farm!? ...and the railway job?] His and his wife's birthplaces have been transposed, but I'm fairly sure it's them alright. This is also the missing year for my original Thomas Foster jr.

1881 census: at 43 Albert Street, Wisbech. Occ: millwright's assistant [of course].

1891 census: at 57 Albert Street, Wisbech. Retired farmer. With a hitherto-as-yet unmentioned son, Henry W. Foster, and daughter Maud [?where did they come from?].

Death registered Q3 1896 of Thomas Foster, aged 75, in Wisbech. This is probably him, but I haven't ordered the cert. yet.

---

Something just doesn't quite sit right with all of these.

Paul

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the work that Findmypast have done to index the Lincolnshire parish registers I've now found Thomas Foster (the younger)'s marriage to Hannah Cass Bassett in 1876.

Lincoln St Nicholas, p. 214, no. 428
1876 Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of St Nicholas Lincoln in the County of Lincoln
June 29
Thomas Foster, full age, Bachelor, Painter, St Pauls - father Thomas Foster, [no occupation given]
Hannah Cass Bassett, full age, Spinster, , Stonefield House - father Edwin Bassett, [no occupation]
This Marriage was solemnized between us, Thomas Foster [signed], Hannah Cass Bassett [signed]
Witnesses Edwin Bassett [signed], Emma Bassett [signed]

So Thomas wasn't married before.

Paul