Author Topic: Martin Tracey, my wife's great grandfather  (Read 27429 times)

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Tracey, my wife's great grandfather
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Tom,
My grandfather Patrick can confirm the family links to the Knockcroghery claypipe factory. This was often discussed when he was growing up. The earlier reference in this forum to Whytes (or Whites) factory in Glasgow is also relevant as he can also confirm that his grandfather worked there. Have you seen the Knockcroghery visitor centre website at www.oghamwish.com/claypipe-centre.php

PS. I'm making good progress tonight on Patrick Tracey's (b. 1842) parents and grandparents back to abt. 1800

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Darrin,

That's great especially having confirmation from your grandfather. How did you decide on the 1842 birth, there is also a November 1843 birth, that is what has stopped me from progressing but I don't mind, I have spent last couple of hours finding out about Knockcroghery and local area. I thought our links were in the town of Roscommon, now I find it is from a small village. Much more interesting in my book.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline InfoTracey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tressach Bairrche Barr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From the information I have collected:
http://traceyclann.com/files/Roscommon.htm

Patrick/Patricium Trac(e)y m. Eliza/Betty/Elizabeth/Ellizabetham Higgins 11 January 1861 RC Killinvoy and Killmain (LDS) (see 1901 census Knockcroghery Village)
Anne b. 20 August 1864 Roscommon Roscommon (LDS)
Henry b. 12 April 1866 Roscommon Roscommon (LDS)
John b. 26 October 1868 (LDS)
Catherine b. 19 June 1870 (LDS)
Elizabeth b. 23 July 1873 (LDS)
James b. 22 October 1875 Roscommon Roscommon (LDS)
Bridget b. 6 June 1877 (LDS)
Patrick b. 14 June 1879 (LDS)

If you get the State Registration Certificate for a birth after 1864, it will give you the townland that they lived in. From that you should be able to see who lived in that townland in the Griffiths Valuation and Tithe Records.

Here are the details for Henry:

Tracy, Henry Roscommon, Roscommon. 1866 8 409

Also the easiest place to find RC parish record details and maps is John Graham's Irish Times website. Use the sitemap to list the contents of the website. The church parishes for Roscommon are located at:

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/roscommonrc.htm

Regards,

Dec

Tracey Tracy Treacey Treacy O'Treasaigh

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Dec,

Thanks for all the info and links, I looked at your site and it must have taken years to get all that info about the Tracy, Treacy, Tracey and all other likenesses.

Patrick/Patricium Trac(e)y m. Eliza/Betty/Elizabeth/Ellizabetham Higgins 11 January 1861 RC Killinvoy and Killmain (LDS) (see 1901 census Knockcroghery Village)

-----------------

Here are the details for Henry:

Tracy, Henry Roscommon, Roscommon. 1866 8 409

Can I ask you to what the note (see 1901 census Knockcroghery Village) refers to, I have had a look at Knockcroghery 1901 census, but cannot see what the note is drawing my attention to. On Martin's marriage certificate to Annie O'Shea it states that both his parents were deceased, so would not expect to see anything on 1901 census about them.

Also the 1866 8 409, what does the 8 409 refer to and can you check it online?

Tom

Offline InfoTracey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tressach Bairrche Barr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

In the 1901 census, there are the rest of the family. In total, there are three families of pipe makers, who I would presume are related. Henry is living with his mother Betty. Do you mean that she had died before the death of Martin in 1913.

In the 1911 census the families appear to have left Ireland as they are not included.

In the Griffiths Valuation, of 1857, there is:

Patrick Tracy Knockcroghery Killinvoy Roscommon

who occupied a house at No.25 in the village.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=tracy&firstname=patrick&baronyname=&countyname=ROSCOMMON&unionname=&parishname=&Submit.x=55&Submit.y=9

As such, the birth cert of Henry may not give you additional information. However, the Tithe record may help.

The numbers refer to the volume and page number of the book of registration. Details of how to obtain state certs are on the following webpage:

http://www.traceyclann.com/files/Birth%20Register%20in%20Ireland.htm

Regards,

Dec

Tracey Tracy Treacey Treacy O'Treasaigh

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
Tom,
I had made a leap of faith on you confirming Patrick b.26/02/1842, therefore the Patrick b. 11/11/1843 means we still need to find the right one - apologies!   In fact there appears to be a 3rd Patrick b. 04/03/1844. However (i) he is from Lissonuffy, Roscommon which is a little bit away from Knockcroghery and (ii) he would have been only 16 when married, therefore I suspect we can rule him out. I have the 2 baptism extracts from rootsireland on both the 1842 and 1843 Patricks. The 1842 Patrick has parents Michael Tracy and Brigid Rorke, informants John Bolan and Mary Bolan. The 1843 has parents Patrick Treacy and Mary Kelly, informants Denis Mullin and Brigid Kenndy. Both recorded as Knockcroghery Parish.

Darrin

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Dec,

I was confusing myself between Martin's marriage at Limerick in 1882 and his death in 1913 at Glasgow, when certificate says both parents deceased, however Betty's age on 1901 census is 50 and she was married 1861 so she would be 10 at marriage. Henry's age is out by 8 years but Patt's is about right. So not convinced that this is our family yet.

I thought that Elizabeth (Betty) Higgins was born Apr 12, 1841 to parents Martin Higgins and Anne McVee, however I picked her because she would have been 20 at marriage, there were other possibilities but I thought they were too young.

Doubting Thomas

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 September 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Tom,
Regards the 1901 Census entry for Betty, Henry and Patt, I've just been reading the following on http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/

"5. Keep in mind that age data for some adults was in many situations an approximate age. There were many adults who reported being 50, 60, 70 or 80 rather than their actual age."

Beginning to think they must be the correct Traceys - what do you think ?
Darrin

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 September 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Dear all, the current Knockcroghery Design Statement (large pdf file, easily googled) mentions that "the Census at that time [1837] indicated that there were 31 households n Knockcroghery.."

Does this mean the 1837 Census might be available from somewhere ?

Also - does anyone have, or know how to get the "Form B1" image from the 1901 Census for Knockcroghery.  The images available at census.nationalarchives.ie/ for all Knockcroghery entries (under "View Census Images" alongside the search findings) I've tried only have the 2nd page, listing House Nos. 18 through 27. Very interested in the first 18 houses as I think it might give some helpful clues.

Darrin