Author Topic: Fenry place name  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fenry place name
« on: Tuesday 28 October 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate a place in Roscommon called Fenry according to a record of someone who was born there in the 1820s and emigrated in the 1840s.  I don't see it in Sean Ruad's exhaustive atlas or Tithe Applotments or Griffith's Valuation or census records and can't find it through Google.  Does anyone know about this place?  If it's any help, the family name was Carroll.

Even though I'm looking for it, I know that it could be a misspelling or a "sounds like" name like Fen Reagh.  It could be a place that disappeared during the famine or became absorbed into a larger place.  Although I don't find it in adjoining counties either, it could have been one of the places that changed counties when the borders changed. Fenry could be the popular name although the name used in official census and land records might be very different.

I'm hoping that someone on the Roscommon board will be able to help. 

Thanks!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fenry place name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

What is the record that you found it on ?

Can you post an image of the word ?

Tara

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I should have been clearer and appreciate your question.  The name Fenry is not taken from a church or civil record.  It's in a family history narrative that's typed so it's not a matter of legibility.  It says that the Carroll ancestor was born in Fenry, Roscommon.  Perhaps the author was going from what he/she could remember being said.

Thanks again. 

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Yes, a family story will make it harder to track down as you are reliant on our lovely Irish brogue and how the recipient heard it !

Mistranscriptions could be an issue too.

The list below is one that I would use as a very loose list of possibilities.

Fearagh
Feenagh
Feevagh
Finnor
Fuerty

The next thing is do you have this person getting married in the US ?

If so, where, when and whom to ?

Working on this might give leads !

Also, shipping records !

Tara

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Exactly!  I should probably let you know that I'm trying to help my electrician find his roots.  He's really in better shape than most of the famine descendants, many of whom are not even sure of the county where their ancestors were born.  When they hear that I know the exact places and a number of my cousins living in Ireland, their loss is painful.  I try not to let my luck be known.  However, this man has something to go on so I'll try to help him out. 

His great-grandfather did marry in the United States.  They know where he was married and the names of his parents.  If I can't come up with anything on my own, I'm going to have him recheck the church records and civil records there to see if there's anything else that might have been missed.  I'm also going to have him delve into the records of siblings, if he knows of any.  Maybe the cemetery might have something too.  Usually, if you can't get it one way, you can come at it from another direction. 

I've been eying Fuerty myself and that's a civil parish as well as a townland, but some of your other suggestions have possibilities too.  The birth date of 1822 is too early for some parishes to have records available and the LDS doesn't have it or the names of his parents with other births in their database, but if he's really lucky, it could be in one of the Roscommon microfilms in the National Library. 

How I wish the officials in the U.S. didn't accept just Ireland as an answer. That wouldn't fly today.

Thanks again.  I'll keep you posted if anything solid comes up, and if anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears. This one has me stumped. 

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Sinann,

You're good.  That's exactly the document the man is using.  He has a number of other family documents as well.  Can you take it any further?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Why not disclose any relevant records or quotes from them referring to Ireland instead of people using their time to find what you already have?

"He has a number of other family documents as well.."  What??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I see it's believed the father is Thomas and the mother Katherine Brahaney. I'd question that info first.
Fenry is a surname I wonder if they are related to Fenry's rather that coming from Fenry as the only one in GV is in Roscommon.