Author Topic: Madeley Parish Records  (Read 26253 times)

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
Re: Madeley Parish Records
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 August 12 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew, yes I have a Sarah Pritchard nee Garbett (1843-1897) marrying Charles Hoof (1840-1917) her second marriage bringing with her 5 children with the two youngest using the Hoof surname, so I believe.  Charles is my grt grt grt grandfather.  As for the Underwoods I'm not sure, give me some names and I will check.
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 August 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
As a new member, not quite sure what l am doing yet but my husband's great-grandparents were Jonas Underwood and wife Sarah from Dawley-Madeley; other names in that family are Tonks (or Tunks), Shepherd and Downie.
SarahU.
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
As a new member, not quite sure what l am doing yet but my husband's great-grandparents were Jonas Underwood and wife Sarah from Dawley-Madeley; other names in that family are Tonks (or Tunks), Shepherd and Downie.
SarahU.

Hi Sarah, would Jonas' parents be William Underwood (1820-1882) and Ann Tunks (1824-?) ? if so I descend from Williams brother Thomas (1819-1896) he is my 3rd great grandfather.
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 August 12 07:15 BST (UK) »
Sharmar, there would appear to be a connection, though l have not done any research prior to the marriage of William and Ann then the birth of Jonas. Jonas moved to Scotland, shows up on the 1891 census for Holytown Lanarkshire as a coal miner (no sign of family), 1901 census he is still a miner, 40 years old with wife Sarah Ann (Shepherd), children Sarah Ann 16, Rose Ann 15, Blanche 11 - all born in England then Jonas 9, Mary 5 and Richard William 2 (my husband's grandfather),all born in Lanarkshire. My records indicate they married in 1888 in Dawley and Sarah's previous married name was Reynolds so l doubt the older children were Underwoods.  My husband's uncle was known as Jack and never knew until he died that he was also a Jonas!
SarahU
p.s. note of interest, this male line of Underwoods has now died out. Uncle Jack had no children, my husband and l had no sons, my husband's brother had one son but parents divorced and boy legally took the step-father's name. However, my one daughter kept the Underwood name professionally.
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 August 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah, here's some info I have so far

Your Williams siblings are:-

Thomas (1819-24 April 1896) married Rachel Steventon (my line)
John (1816-1890) married Eliza Williams
Elizabeth (1826-1862) married James Whordley
Richard (1828-?) married Elizabeth Simmons

Their parents are John Underwood (1786-1847) & Mary Pitchford (1787-1865)
John's sibling was Thomas (1781-?) married Jane

Their grandparents are Charles Underwood (1741-?) married Mary Teece (1746-?)

All born in villages in Shropshire

Williams siblings had loads of children each far to many to list but from the above info it should be easy for you to find although it appears that the name has also disappeared from this area.

The underwood's are still a work in progress for me Sarah so please excuse the question marks  ::)

Sharon

PS The little row of houses (6) that John (1786-1847) was born in, as was your William and his siblings, stayed a family home for the Underwoods until my great great grand mother was born and she married into the Woodvine family (who lived in the same row) and they stayed in the same house until the late sixties when the row was demolished so thats 5 generations of history for me!  The link below shows you a picture of the actual row of houses.

http://www.walktelfordheritage.co.uk/site.asp?SiteRef=49

Offline andrew davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 October 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Have you come across any Pritchard's in your Hoof and Deakin lines on your tree?

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 October 13 17:15 BST (UK) »
Yes Andrew, Pritchards, Hoofs and Deakins.

Offline madeley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 October 13 01:34 BST (UK) »
I have a Margaret Buckley born 1868 madeley wood in my family looks to have been a sister to my gg grandmother.

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 October 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
Margaret Buckley was my Great Grandmother, please see start of this thread for more details