Author Topic: Robert and Mary Jones Family - Clynnog 1876-19??  (Read 2711 times)

Offline welshpride

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert and Mary Jones Family - Clynnog 1876-19??
« on: Thursday 07 November 13 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I am attempting to find out whatever I can about my great grandparents Robert and Mary (nee Williams) Jones and their numerous children.  My grandfather, William Samuel Jones was born in Clynnog on 29 July 1901.  His mother died a few days following his birth.  He was baptised beside her coffin.  Relatives sent him to live and work in the coal mines of South Wales, and later they decided to send him to the United States as a young man of 19, where he remained.  He had numerous brothers and sisters, as follows (note that all were born in Clynnog):

Mary Jones b. @ 1877
Ann Jones b. @ 1879
Ellis Jones b. @ 1881
Cathrine Jones b. @ 1883
David Jones b. @ 1885
Elizabeth Jones b. @ 1888
Griffith Jones b. @ 1890
Jane Jones b. @ 1892
Kate Jones b. @ 1893
Robert Jones b. @ 1896
Samuel Jones b. @ 1899
William Samuel Jones (my grandfather) b. July 29, 1901

Some of the dwellings this family lived in, based on census results, were:

1881 - Graianfryn
1891 - Ffridd Bach
1901 - Foel Ina (unsure of exact spelling)

Robert Jones was a slate quarryman and these residences can be found on the edge of a large quarry, just west of Clynnog.  Robert was born somewhere around 1853-1856 in Nevin.  I have copies of his marriage registration with wife Mary Williams.

There are so many potential leads.  With such a large family coming from such a small community, there has to be someone out there who knows something about some of these relatives of mine.  I can also add that it is believed that Ellis may have become a policeman, if that helps.  Kate married a man named Porterfield and lived later in life in Canada.  I don't think any of the other siblings ever left Wales. 

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Steve Jones
Racine, Wisconsin, USA