Author Topic: The Loss of HMT Bradford 1916  (Read 817 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
The Loss of HMT Bradford 1916
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have a query regarding the loss of the HMT Bradford in the Celtic sea.

My great-grandfathers half-brother, George Richard Jacobs, appears to have drowned with the rest of the crew on 26 October 1916.

According to several sources though HMT Bradford was lost in a storm on 28 October 1916.

Does anyone know why there is a date discrepancy between the loss of the men and the loss of the trawler?

Offline chasray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Loss of HMT Bradford 1916
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jibba, My Great Uncle (Percy Englefield) was also on the Bradford and i have his WW1 records which details the loss. I can send you a copy of the record if you let me have you Email Address. The Bradford foundered in a gale off the Old Head of Kinsale and the date she went down was guessed at as she was out of contact at the time. I have a lot of information about the loss if you want it. The body of George Jacobs was the only one washed ashore off the Bradford and he was buried at Pulla Famine Graveyard. There is more information about where his body was washed ashore etc and further info about the Bradford: logs etc.  You are welcome to have copies of what i have. Regards, John

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 November 14 08:25 GMT (UK) »
You probably already have this info,
The CWGC give the death of the skipper of the HMT Bradford William Bruce DSC as 26.10.16.

James

Offline chasray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 14 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi James, thank you for your reply. I do have that information but once again thanks all the same.
Kind regards