Author Topic: Lives of the 1st WW  (Read 491 times)

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lives of the 1st WW
« on: Wednesday 05 November 14 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying (not very successfully) to use this site of Imp.War Museum.  I have managed to download some photos/scans of docs. but despite putting evidence of death, ie certificate and gravestone I cannot get the Timeline to show death details.
I am finding it rather difficult navigating, as is seems to be very restricted in the options it gives.
I am sure there are a number of rootchatterers out there using this site to remember and record their own relatives, so any tips or guidance would be welcome.  Also my grandfather has 2 entries, how can I combine the 2?
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline youwho

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lives of the 1st WW
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I am glad it's not just me struggling with this site, I am trying to add details for 3 of my family members, but finding it very very difficult, I was hoping there would be some help on this forum, I do find the site confusing, I am almost giving up in sheer frustration, which is a great shame.

youwho
KENT Clackett, Swaffer, Houghton, Jezzard, Epps, Smith
ESSEX Hoy, Bentley, Smith, 
HERTFORDSHIRE, BEDFORDSHIRE Hare, Holland,  Crouch , Shepherd
SUSSEX  Jones, Smith,
DEPTFORD   Phillips, Francis
MIDDLESEX - TOTTENHAM Smith, Bentley, Hoy, Phillips, Mead, Cooke

Offline cj1992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I had similar problems and it turned out that the site doesn't work well with Internet Explorer. I downloaded Firefox to access the site and since then I haven't had any problems.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I regularly add information as I run a 'Community' on there.  Once you get into the swing of it I haven't found it a problem.  Although you can only add certain details from the 'seed' data for free (after you have registered) to add stuff like Census material you must have a subscription.  Try to only add the data from the source you are using as it does sight where you got the data from. 

Adding details from the Medals cards is a pain and I usually check on Ancestry to find out which medals the young men got before I add the information.  The seed information does not tell you  which medals they got but sends you to the TNA website.

I wish I could suggest something to Ann about her Grandfather's two entries - other than getting in touch with the IWM team about it.  Unless you cross reference both - perhaps under 'Stories' where you can add whatever text you want.??