Author Topic: Newspaper reports of inquests  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Narrowboat Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newspaper reports of inquests
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
My 2x Gt Grandfather John Watkins was "accidentally killed by falling under trams" on August 1867 in the parish of Llanelli near Crickhowell.

The Deputy Coroner adjourned the inquest from 27th August to 4th September 1867.

I have tried to find a report of any of the inquest meetings in the Wales Newspapers Online without success.

Does anyone have any ideas?

On his marriage in 1862 he was employed as a stoker and was living in Brynmawr, and was employed as a fireman at the time of his death. He is buried in the churchyard at Llanelli.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Ingleby. Checkley. Slade. Harding. Carter. Crosby. Lloyd. Watkins. Bullard. Crowson.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper reports of inquests
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
As Inquests and crime were the meat and potatoes for local papers right up to the 1960s.  I would imagine that this accident would certainly have made the papers.

Do not look at just Welsh papers.

I had a relative who committed suicide in the 1940s in London, he came from Bristol and his inquest was found in a Yorkshire paper!

The report would have been printed either on the day or within a couple of days. Though the same or next day is the norm.

Hope this helps.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Narrowboat Dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper reports of inquests
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Plummiegirl! I have looked at the British Library's online resource as well without success!

I am trying the Gwent and Brecon Record offices just in case they have any ideas!
Ingleby. Checkley. Slade. Harding. Carter. Crosby. Lloyd. Watkins. Bullard. Crowson.