Author Topic: Can anyone read this handwriting?  (Read 4454 times)

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this handwriting?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that 1841 census information Jamjar. Ages are rounded down to the nearest five aren't they? And if James was 80-85 in 1841 that might just fit, but Janet is too young. (George would have been born around 1772). George is in the 1841 census living in Stirling town with wife Isabella and their six children. He's listed as age 60 but this is not quite accurate. He's 78 in 1851.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

On IGI, children of James Robertson and Janet Monteath of Stirling are listed as: -

Janet Robertson - 22 Jun 1757 Stirling
Margaret Robertson - 03 Jun 1759 Stirling
John Robertson - 03 May 1761 Stirling
Jean Robertson - 10 Aug 1763 Stirling
Elizabeth Robertson - 23 Mar 1766 Stirling
George Robertson - 22 May 1768 Stirling
George Robertson - 30 Apr 1772 Stirling

These are all extracted records . The younger George must have died very young, anf=d as common practice at that time name was re-used.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Pertinax Augustus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone read this handwriting? Dated 19 January 2009.
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
Quite by accident, I discovered the post by Grungefrog (Steve Lord) of 19/01/2009, asking if anyone could read the death certificate of George Robertson, who died in Stirling on 1 March 1861.  This is my great-great-grandfather, and I was fascinated by Tidybooks' helpful reply the following day, with a list of the seven children of James Robertson and Janet Monteath born between 1757 and 1772, of whom George Robertson is the last born.  These are all extracted records with the imprimatur of IGI.

I have been unable to determine the dates of birth of James Robertson and Janet Monteath, both of which are fairly common names, and I cannot find a record of their marriage on ScotlandsPeople.org.uk.

Can anyone assist with this; or at least point me in the right direction?  I should be most grateful.

Gerald.

Moderator comment - post merged with original topic

Robertson Duncan

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerald,

Had the same problem as you. I could not find a record on Scotland Peoples website or IGI Family Records, however as a last resort, searched on Ancestry, and it came back with 1 result, with no proof.

It says James born in Dunblane, Perthshire in 1733, married Janet Monteath in 1754, aged 21. He died in 1781in Stirlingshire with no evidence whatsoever. He was the son of George Robertson and Janet Cossar. I hate these trees where they have not put source of records. However it may help to search for the proof, hope this helps.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 October 14 00:49 BST (UK) »
Agricultural Labourer Deceased in my view
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 October 14 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your extremely helpful comments. 

I have followed your implied advice, and have created a family tree on Ancestry.com, going back in the male line as far as archival documentation permits, i.e. to the late eighteenth century.  It turns out that I am distantly related through female lines to several people who have assembled family trees which include Janet Monteath 1734-1827 (with various spellings of both names) and James Robertson (Dunblane 1733 - Stirling 1781).  Some of these trees also go back one more generation to George Robertson (1705-1780) and Janet Cosser (1710-1790). 

Although none of these entries seems prima facie to be properly documented by reference to archival sources, at least I have found a good many distant relatives (of whose existence I was unaware) to whom I can write in order to enquire about their sources of information.   

So very many thanks for your help and guidance !

Gerald.
Robertson Duncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 October 14 07:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, Deebel.  "Deceased" is pretty clear.  I am sure that you are right about "agricultural" or  possibly just "agriculture".  Whether the third word is "labourer" or "farmer" seems less certain.  Gerald.
Robertson Duncan